Glen Rose, Texas - New Dinosaur Tracks?

LanceH

We first saw these in October but didn't get any photographs cause only one track was really noticeable at the time and I didn't think it was real. Well today I went back and got pics and now it looks like the real deal.

There's three ornithopod (3-toed) footprints and they all go in same direction about 45 degrees from direction of the drainage ditch. There's also possibly some sauropod (flat-footed) tracks but they are not as well defined. The well-documented Paluxy River tracks are several miles west of Glen Rose, these tracks are east.

post-11-1263421601232_thumb.jpg post-11-12634216130022_thumb.jpg post-11-12634216247829_thumb.jpg post-11-12634216357968_thumb.jpg

Edited by LanceHall
  • I found this Informative 2

Great find, Lance! Other tracks I've seen in the Upper Glen Rose Fm. are in a similar looking bedrock.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

How did they come to be exposed?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How did they come to be exposed?

This is in part of a man-made drainage ditch. To the left the tracks layer is eroded away. To the right the track layer is covered by a few inches of gray clay. These tracks are right in the middle layer.

The tracks go immediately into a 30 foot wall of rock and shale. The opposite direction they go into a massive open space and theoretically could be uncovered for several hundred feet. There are about 3 feet below grade.

Very Nice!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Heads up find Lance! Do you plan to call a museum, they may be able to dig up the side that you say goes on for several hundred feet.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a year I decided to update...

Since that time a "self-taught paleontologist", Jerry Jacene, came in and was given discovery credit in the newspaper. I emailed Jacene and he was less than receptive of our prior discovery. The details are reported in Deb Harper's Glen Rose blog

Edited by LanceHall

i dont have to know more than can be surmised from checking the guy's website... keep up the good work lance.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Hopefully, you and Roz will get the credit. When I went to see the tracks during Fossilmania and found Jerry there, he didn't seem to care when I told him that the tracks had already been reported in January. He just kept mentioning Dr. Farlow and Roger Fry and excavation plans, so he already had to know he wasn't the first to find them from Roger.

He seems to have left a trail of unhappy people in Tennessee. His website says that

Effective December 26, 2010

Prehistoric Exhibits will officially close it's location in Kingsport, Tennessee.

.......Field Operations will continue in Montana and Texas.

I guess that means that he is coming back. Apparently, Deb Harper at Salon doesn't want to see him come back.

http://salon.glenrose.net/default.asp?view=plink&id=13589

• I found this Informative 1

Lance... I checked the one fact I could for you.. indeed Jacene is not a member of SVP. Have you been in touch with Roger Fry lately over this? Seems he oughta know what all has been going on. I'm not sure what power he might have, but it can only help. I know Roger and I think he will be at the prepartor's conference in April. I can have a word with him if need be. Meanwhile, keep up the good work. And not to be a DebbieDowner, but sometimes things like this just end up unresolved with people hating each other. There is such a tale for the Red Gulch Dino Tracks in northern Wyoming. Two teams, two stories, two claims and no-one speaks to each other. Have you been in touch with the landowner? After all, it is his land, and he can do with it as he chooses.

Cope/Marsh lite... :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

name='Auspex' timestamp='1298382275' post='209275']

Cope/Marsh lite... :(

:laughing on the floor 24: Agreed. :wacko:

Bear-dog.

• 2 weeks later...

I ask all my friends here at the forum that if they attend an event where Dr. James O. Farlow maybe attending such as an upcoming GSA or SVP event that they seek out Mr. Farlow and let him know about our prior reporting here. He already knows but it would be good to hear from other people. Jacene said he would be "working with Farlow" on these tracks. As many of you know I had these tracks posted to this forum since January 2010 a full 10 months before Jacene found them. I've written Farlow and he said he would give us credit but I don't know if that's full or just part.

I have taken the time to compile an extensive accounting of our discovery and credible people we reported them to:

http://www.northtexa...ackshistory.htm

My only mistake was NOT reporting to the Glen Rose Reporter newspaper. Their response so far to the discovery issue has been silence.

The last I heard is that the Topeka Gem & Mineral Society was driving all the way down to help start excavation in mid March.

Edited by LanceHall

Lance... I checked the one fact I could for you.. indeed Jacene is not a member of SVP. Have you been in touch with Roger Fry lately over this? Seems he oughta know what all has been going on.

Roger said he first got contact with Jacene the same day of the Key to City event for the little cancer girl on Oct. 30, 2010. Roger and Derek Main were also in Glen Rose for the Fossilmania Event. There was a woman watching over the tracks and Roger gave the woman his contact info so that's how Jacene got connected with Roger for excavation duties. I recently talked to Tom Dill who witnessed Roger and the woman and said that the woman basically said that a "big paleontologist from back East discovered them. " Roger then showed her HIS log book (he's very meticulous) and pictures that proved that WE (Lance, Roz, Roger) were there long before Jacene discovered them.

Edited by LanceHall