Where's Your Carboniferous Plant Material From?

Plantguy

This morning I've found some new Calamites outer bark prints.

post-814-12697813506082_thumb.jpgpost-814-1269781356775_thumb.jpgpost-814-1269781363251_thumb.jpg

Nice Calamites ,Romans ,I also found a Calamites ,but obviously this is not the same specie,the nodes are more distant from each other ,my sample is a Calamites (stylocalamites )suckowi Brongniart ,who is a very common specie here !!!!

post-967-12697917855545_thumb.jpg

Nice Calamites ,Romans ,I also found a Calamites ,but obviously this is not the same specie,the nodes are more distant from each other ,my sample is a Calamites (stylocalamites )suckowi Brongniart ,who is a very common specie here !!!!

You've got very good and big examples.

RomanK & Bruno..... Excellent finds... :) Its really nice to se all he plant finds together, I hope I can add something soon myself ... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nice finds!

As a follow-up to the above discussion, I tried several products to seal St. Clair pieces of slate as they are very sooty. The artist's product was pretty good but the granite wax spray didn't really work (although it looked good initially). The product that worked the best is Rust-oleum's Painter's Touch Ultra Cover Matte Clear. I gave some specimens to some people who don't collect fossils, so they wanted clean pieces that weren't going to mess up their living rooms. They're happy with them. I rinsed the specimens briefly by dunking them and then drying them, then quickly spraying them. They dried quickly.

''I hope I can add something soon myself''.... Sometimes a little moan pays off ;) .... heres one from a spoil heap..... cyclopteris in a nice eliptical nodule...

post-1630-12703860825021_thumb.jpg post-1630-12703861639748_thumb.jpg

Nice cyclopteris Steeve ......

my latest finds Fortopteris latifolia Brongniart and arthropod trackway ..... ;);)

post-967-12704538956714_thumb.jpg

post-967-1270453947314_thumb.jpg

Bruno..... Excellent finds ... The Trackway Yikes!!!!!..... A VERY rare find Well done.... ;););)

Ive only ever noticed this and I have no idea what could of made it....

post-1630-12704556393841_thumb.jpg

arthropod trackway ......an uncommon find .....

I sent a message to Dr. P. Racheboeuf, his response was quick, this imprint could be a track left by a Peripatus (Onychophora), its appendices are round and plump, a predator that is known from the Cambrian, a strange creature that has both characteristics of arthropods and annelids ..... ;);)

post-967-12705866682116_thumb.jpg

Bruno.....Congratulations.... a rare find :goodjob:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my friends ....

my latest finds ,with my friend Hervé today we found Crossotheca ( sphenopteris ) crepini Zeiller with Annularia radiata Brongniart,some Shenophyllum cuneifolium Sternberg from aera Lievin,this trip was really very good .. ;);)

post-967-12715278555635_thumb.jpg

post-967-12715279137132_thumb.jpg

My latest finds ,rachis of ferns Linopteris which has three divisions , the ornementation ( ponctutation )likes hairs or thorns...

best regards

Bruno ;);)

In a previous post I show you a "trifurcation" here is a bifurcation rachis of ferns Linopteris ,Bolsovian Lievin aera ....

Bruno

post-967-12715294928965_thumb.jpg

In a previous post I show you a "trifurcation" here is a bifurcation rachis of ferns Linopteris ,Bolsovian Lievin aera ....

Bruno

Hi Bruno, I found recently very similar branch "surface". Do you think it's the same genus?

post-814-1271534505872_thumb.jpg

Wonderful fossils, Bruno; the first one (with so much variety) is especially beautiful!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi you all, lots of great additions/finds in the last few weeks.

Roman, cool calamites and those Spirobis worms on that one plate from the other posting/thread. Wow!

Haddy, thanks for the update on the preservation techniques. Did you take any photos of those final give aways?

Steve, I'll take a Cyclopteris from a spoil heap any day! :)

Bruno, that last plate with the Annularia in the upper right with the other associated ferns from Lievin is really special. Very nice Sphenophyllum!! And arthropod trackways no less..thats super.

Great finds all. I was thinking about going on a collecting trip out of state some time to something a little older than this Florida Cenozoic stuff. Its kind of driving me crazy...In the meantime here's a recent small ebay acquisition labeled as Sphenopteris sp. (Eusphenopteris sp.) Upper Carboniferous Westfal B, Gliwice Poland.

post-1240-12715417584414_thumb.jpg

Best Regards to you all, Chris

...here's a recent small ebay acquisition labeled as Sphenopteris sp. (Eusphenopteris sp.) Upper Carboniferous Westfal B, Gliwice Poland.

If I didn't maintain my specialized collecting habits, I'd have given you a run for that one! Congratulations, I'm glad that went to someone I know, who will appreciate it. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi my friends

strange structures, animal or plant, I do not know,"small boxes" measure about 4 to 5 mm wide ..... :blush:

best regards

Bruno

post-967-12715768863034_thumb.jpg

post-967-1271576924716_thumb.jpg

A reconstruction from three different specimens to show the typical shape of the trunks of ferns Psaronius very flared at the base and bearing adventitious roots adherent to the trunk,the genus Psaronius is assigned to pecopterid ferns,

next to a Calamites. Then another example of Psaronius.....^_^

best regards

Bruno

post-967-12715775778857_thumb.jpg

post-967-12715776142404_thumb.jpg

post-967-12715776447579_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Hi Bruno, I found recently very similar branch "surface". Do you think it's the same genus?

post-814-1271534505872_thumb.jpg

Hi Roman

I don't think it is the same genus !!! , there are pecopterids which also have similar surfaces, I think I see the foliage pecopteris on your specimen .....

best regards

Bruno

If I didn't maintain my specialized collecting habits, I'd have given you a run for that one! Congratulations, I'm glad that went to someone I know, who will appreciate it. :)

Auspex, thanks for keeping my price low! Regards, Chris

Hi my friends

strange structures, animal or plant, I do not know,"small boxes" measure about 4 to 5 mm wide ..... :blush:

best regards

Bruno

Hi Bruno, interesting little structures you found....You got me and I dont know. Maybe my mind is playing with me but I think I see "little crescents/diamonds" and I'm leaning towards a bark/plant, but definitely not sure...Are there any Lepidodendrons that size with only very fine leaf scar attachments? Looking forward to what others think...

Neat Psaronius/Calamites comparison. thanks!

Regards, Chris

Hi Roman

I don't think it is the same genus !!! , there are pecopterids which also have similar surfaces, I think I see the foliage pecopteris on your specimen .....

best regards

Bruno

like this one Roman ...

post-967-12716131967165_thumb.jpg