Where's Your Carboniferous Plant Material From?

Plantguy

Hi my friends ....

This morning I found a nice Sigillaria laevigata Brongniart , as in Zeiller book (plate LXXVII fig 3), this specimen shows intercalation of an additional rib .... ;);)

best regards

Bruno

Hi my friends

Here is a reconstruction of Sigillaria bark ;);)

Bruno

post-967-034931800 1280649232_thumb.jpg

some pictures 2

and Calamites roots .... :D

best regards

Bruno

Here is Pinnularia columnaris Artis : Calamites roots ......, a Lepidodendron bark and subcortical bark : Knorria....so different !!!!

and a pretty little fern bicolor ....

best regards ;);)

Bruno

post-967-062021200 1280672710_thumb.jpg

post-967-008484000 1280672802_thumb.jpg

post-967-062988600 1280672840_thumb.jpg

Here is Pinnularia columnaris Artis : Calamites roots ......, a Lepidodendron bark and subcortical bark : Knorria....so different !!!!

best regards ;);)

Bruno

Bruno, what do you think placed under each leaf scar like protuberance (middle pic)?

Latest finds ....

a lepidophloios branche .....

the bark of Sigillaria deutschi Brongniart shows small strobus scars ,they are juvenile and arranged on each side of the ribs , yet they do not distort the ribs ... ;)

Best regards

Bruno

post-967-024696000 1280680134_thumb.jpg

post-967-026957000 1280680181_thumb.jpg

Latest finds ....

a lepidophloios branche .....

the bark of Sigillaria deutschi Brongniart shows small strobus scars ,they are juvenile and arranged on each side of the ribs , yet they do not distort the ribs ... ;)

Best regards

Bruno

Such subtle details...I could never master them!

Beautiful preservation :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

best regards ;);)

Bruno

Hey Bruno, great unique specimens as always! Thanks for posting! I have another question for you. I have seen Pinnularia the genus used for Calamites roots but I have also seen it used for Alga/Fossil diatoms. I know the botanical folks are constantly revising things as they discover more about fossil plants...Is there any logical explanation for having roots and microscopic diatoms in the same genus? Do you know if they are really related? Regards, Chris

Hi my friends

My latest find ,a group of seeds, some specimens seem connected on an axis, there is the foliage of ferns Neuropterides... ;);)

Chris ,Pinnularia (calamites roots ) and Pinnularia (diatoma ) are not related ,very curious ....

best regards

Bruno

post-967-089177100 1281207904_thumb.jpg

My latest find ,a group of seeds, some specimens seem connected on an axis, there is the foliage of ferns Neuropterides...

Fossiles magnifique! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi my friends

Latest find ,a new quadripart Mariopteris fern ....

Bruno ;)

Really nice!

It's always great if you can determine the larger-scale frond architecture! Great find!

Ciao!

Tim

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Excellent find! So rare to have a specimen that shows how all the parts go together :wub:

This is a Lepidophloios bark split from specimen I found this morning. You can see fern leaf print/imprint next to the bark on the specimen.

post-814-024421400 1281790791_thumb.jpg

But on the bark area you can see only negative shape (diamonds have the same shape - look at the parichnos - only prominences).

post-814-096625800 1281791031_thumb.jpgpost-814-020633600 1281791024_thumb.jpg

Who can explaine why?

Edited by RomanK

Professor Erwin L.Zodrow .Yanaki G.Tenchow & Christopher J. Cleal wrote in 2007 a paper about " The arborescent Linopteris obliqua plant Medullosales ,Pennsylvanian " they spoke about reproductive structures ,seeds : Hexagonocarpus Renault Carpentier 1911 ....

I quote : " Documented examples of organically -attached medullosean ovules are extremly rare ,the present discovery being only the second know case from the Sydney Coalfied (Cap Breton ,Canada )...."

So I think being in the presence of the third specimen in organic connection, I am not aware of that in France, here is a trifurcated Linopteris rachis with ovule attached to a proximal position, this position is unique among medullosean ferns

best regards ;);)

Bruno

post-967-099904300 1281806580_thumb.jpg

post-967-063594500 1281806623_thumb.jpg

Oh my, what a fossil :wub:

Congratulations on your amazing find!

Bruno..... Excellent.... its nice to find something rare or unusual....

I have a few bits.... the Alethopteris I think is A. davreuxii ... and a couple of unidentifiable stem bits about 3" diameter....possibly calamites, but no indication of junctions visible...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Bruno..... Excellent.... its nice to find something rare or unusual....

I have a few bits.... the Alethopteris I think is A. davreuxii ... and a couple of unidentifiable stem bits about 3" diameter....possibly calamites, but no indication of junctions visible...

Hi Steve, nice Calamites stems (you can see the Calamites node on upper part of left stem fragment). That is an outer Calamites bark I think.

Just to compare I'm posting Alethopteris rpints from Russian website (www. ammonit.ru) posted by my friend (Dmitry Shaposhnikov, Eastern Donbass, Russia). Both from concretions.

post-814-054075100 1281882543_thumb.jpgpost-814-093048800 1281882546_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK

Hi my friends

My latest finds ,a Lepidodendron bark with very elongated leaf cushions , there is no parichnos, height is 6.5 cm wide by 0.7 cm ..... ;)

Best regards

Bruno

I found in the Kidston's collection a very similar bark :Lepidodendron jaraczewskii Zeiller

post-967-056789600 1282458078_thumb.jpg

post-967-027672200 1282458102_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-86824900-1298279325_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Bruno.... Great finds as usual.... The lepidodendron branch is very nice...

I'm still on dodgy quality plant at the moment, a rough pecopteris and a seed, but this 3" chunk of Myriacantherpestes was a nice supprise... :)

I'm still on dodgy quality plant at the moment, a rough pecopteris and a seed, but this 3" chunk of Myriacantherpestes was a nice supprise... :)

Hi Steve, congratulations with found Millipede, that is fantastic find, I really envy :)

Hey Bruno, you've added some fantastic items since I viewed this last...The seed material Linopteris with ovule and Neuropterides is pretty spectacular. So is the Lepidodendron branch. Great finely detailed specimens!

Roman, nice Lepidophloios and Russian Alethopteris concretion specimens.

Steve, I'm not sure what happened to the photos but I cant see you latest find. A millipede? Nice, I just dumped a bunch of those little guys out of one of my plants last week!

The Alethopteris specimens reminded me of a recent addition from Alabama.

Calamites and Alethopteris?

Blue Creek Basin

Carboniferous

Coal mine west of Bessemer, Alabama

post-1240-074853200 1282664378_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Chris..... I was going through 'my profile' and came across something called 'manage attachments'.... if you ever do the same dont click delete lol, I lost the last page full of photos... :rolleyes:

here it is.... Myriacantherpestes....

post-1630-024819700 1282725753_thumb.jpg post-1630-051317400 1282725773_thumb.jpg