Lets See Your Threshers

Sharks of SC

Maybe someone here has noticed that nearly every tooth that I post a picture of here on the forum is a thresher. There's just something about a thresher tooth that makes me happy. This unique, rare little tooth can turn a good day of hunting into a great one and as someone who doesn't find many extraordinarily large teeth, they are an exciting addition to the collection...

post-2469-12646994292977_thumb.jpgpost-2469-12646994482172_thumb.jpgpost-2469-12646994708048_thumb.jpg

CBK

hey CBK ,

very nice tooth ,

is that Alopias grandis ?

The tooth in my hand? If so, yes. As far as I know, all of the larger teeth are Alopias grandis and the smaller teeth along the bottom of the first picture are a mix of Alopias latidens and Alopias superciliosus teeth.

CBK

Edited by Sharks of SC

Here are mine. All 3 types of giant thresher (the cusped one is the rarest) and a couple from Morocco

post-77-12648047214368_thumb.jpg

post-77-12648047380087_thumb.jpg

post-77-12648047536817_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Here are mine. All 3 types of giant thresher (the cusped one is the rarest) and a couple from Morocco

Northern Sharks,

I spent some time looking at the tooth labelled "Alopias alabamensis." I don't think it is that species though when I look at the nine teeth in White's 1956 description, two of the teeth appear to be carcharhinids, and the others assignable to A. latidens. I have never liked the idea of subspecies for species based on teeth alone and it appears many of the old subspecies have since been synonymized or granted full species status themselves.

With that said, I'm not sure how I would ID that tooth. It reminds me of some of those teeth from the Mid-Late Eocene of Kazakhstan that have called Usakias, but which may also be Alopias. Does the crown noticeably overhang the root along the root lobes on the labial face?

Anyway, it's interesting. The only tooth I have from that locality is a large Galeocerdo that Gordon Hubbell gave me when I visited him a couple of months ago. It's 1 3/8" across - big for a modern tooth (huge for an Eocene tooth) and it appears many of those are around that size and larger.

White (1956) described Alopias latidens alabamensis from the Eocene of Alabama. Case & Cappetta (1990) included this species from the Eocene of Egypt, but synonymized a similar tooth-design by Stromer (1903, Aprionodon frequens) with alabamensis (don't ask me why alabamensis had priority).

This is from Elasmo. As for the cown overhanging the root, it's nowhere near as noticable as say I.retroflexus, but it does appear to about as much as the A.latidens shown on Elasmo. Mine came from Steve Alter, and all the threshers I've seen from this location have been labelled as such. I don't have the reference material that you do, so I'm not sure what differentiates latidens from alabamensis, but it can't be much. I also have a Galeocerdo from the same site, as well as a Hemipristis and a pair of rare Misrichthys.

post-77-12648522512607_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

White (1956) described Alopias latidens alabamensis from the Eocene of Alabama. Case & Cappetta (1990) included this species from the Eocene of Egypt, but synonymized a similar tooth-design by Stromer (1903, Aprionodon frequens) with alabamensis (don't ask me why alabamensis had priority).

This is from Elasmo. As for the cown overhanging the root, it's nowhere near as noticable as say I.retroflexus, but it does appear to about as much as the A.latidens shown on Elasmo. Mine came from Steve Alter, and all the threshers I've seen from this location have been labelled as such. I don't have the reference material that you do, so I'm not sure what differentiates latidens from alabamensis, but it can't be much. I also have a Galeocerdo from the same site, as well as a Hemipristis and a pair of rare Misrichthys.

I don't have that Stromer description but UC Berkeley's life sciences library has several of his reprints (though not his description of Carcharias koerti which I still want). Stromer might have two tooth-designs within his type series for Aprionodon frequens (one later interpreted as a thresher and the other Carcharhinus frequens - Aprionodon is a junior synonym name of Carcharhinus). There are other cases in which a type series for a particular fossil shark species was later determined to contain more than one species and sometimes genus.

Yeah, alabamensis is probably latidens.

For anyone not googling it, a "junior synonym" is a once-official but now obsolete name for a current valid species. Scientists keep track of all the old names for species and the authors who used them in a "synonymy." That is the list of names, which can be lengthy for species established in previous centuries, you will see under the current official name in a scientific article. The list is helpful and every name significant because it allows researchers to go back and read what has been said by the various authors across the time the species has been documented.

• 2 months later...

Maybe someone here has noticed that nearly every tooth that I post a picture of here on the forum is a thresher. There's just something about a thresher tooth that makes me happy. This unique, rare little tooth can turn a good day of hunting into a great one and as someone who doesn't find many extraordinarily large teeth, they are an exciting addition to the collection...

post-2469-12646994292977_thumb.jpgpost-2469-12646994482172_thumb.jpgpost-2469-12646994708048_thumb.jpg

CBK

CBK,

My brother took some photos for me today. Here's a thresher from an oddball California locality:

Alopias latidens

Middle Miocene

Monterey Formation (basal part)

Lake Forest, Orange County, CA

The site became a housing division but it was very productiive for a time in the early 70's. The basal part of the Monterey has been interpreted to be slightly younger than Sharktooth Hill (perhaps 14 million years old).

post-1482-12707946455582_thumb.jpg

Edited by siteseer

Hi Siteseer

Here's one I found recently in Marylandpost-3033-12709094590274_thumb.jpg

Serrated giant threshers are pretty cool, and pretty rare;

are you sure that's not a Meg? :unsure:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Serrated giant threshers are pretty cool, and pretty rare;

are you sure that's not a Meg? :unsure:

CMM ID'd it for me just to be sure as Triganotodus Alteri-Serrated Thresher

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

CMM ID'd it for me just to be sure as Triganotodus Alteri-Serrated Thresher

It's a beauty! Big, heavily serrated; among the nicest I've ever seen :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

It's a beauty! Big, heavily serrated; among the nicest I've ever seen :wub:

2 1/4 Inches-The Largest CMM Has seen so far-I was very lucky that day!

2 1/4 Inches-The Largest CMM Has seen so far-I was very lucky that day!

That's why I made the Meg reference :o

(Wasn't challenging the ID :) )

That's why I made the Meg reference :o

(Wasn't challenging the ID :) )

Gotcha-I thought the same when I picked it up!