Ontario Fossil Hunting Locations

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so, hello to all. I am in Ontario and have recently had surgery and cannot work in my current profession for the next month or so. Therefore, have time to do something I have always wanted... Fossil Hunting!

I have a few questions.

Where are good legal places to go in Ontario?

What places have you had success?

What species do you find at these locations?

Once again, hello to all and hope I posted in the right spot.

Regards,

Jan

Edited by 41714049

If you are recovering from surgery I would strongly advise to stay out of quarries for safety reasons. Fossil hunting requires one to be physiclly fit. Surface collecting is what you want ... try Arkona / Hungry Hollow ON area .... lots of Devonian fossils right on the surface ... walk along the Ausable River bank and there is lots of fossils to be had.... There is even a conservation area in Arkona that allows limited collecting complete with a museum to help you ID your finds.... this should be a good starting point.

PL

OK thanks... I will be fully recovered in a week and doc says ill be able to do everything, so I should be fine.

Thanks for the info on that.

Also, is it prohibited in all parks from collecting fossils unless otherwise stated?

And what river bank is this... I cannot find it on google... got an intersection? Or lat. / long.?

Edited by 41714049

The conservation area is Rock Glen in Arkona has the museum of local fossils (good place to start to familiar yourself to what to look for) .... collecting can be done out side the park along the Ausable River Banks where alot of Devonian fossils get weathered out... lots of horn coral..... brachiopods etc.... Yes in general conservation areas and parks prohibit fossil collecting unless stated otherwise... ...

RockGlen-CA_1.pdf

Access of the Ausable River Banks can be had at Village of Hungry Hollow ON ( just east of Arkona ON)just a few miles upstream from Rock Glen.

PL

Thanks a bunch!

I have heard about the gravel pit in that area... how do people set up hunts there?

Out of curiosity I researched the gravel pits in my are and you need to be part of a club to be able to go there.

Thanks again,

Jan

Thanks a bunch!

I have heard about the gravel pit in that area... how do people set up hunts there?

Out of curiosity I researched the gravel pits in my are and you need to be part of a club to be able to go there.

Thanks again,

Jan

Welcome to the forum. I don't think Peter will mind if I cut in here ;)

There is no formal "set up", you can go in and poke around whenever you want. Just don't dig a big hole on the roadway, other than that, it's all up for grabs. It isn't a gravel pit, but mainly a clay pit, and very unpleasant if it's too wet. There are pits on each side of the river, and if you walk along the river bank, you'll come to an area collector's call the "high banks". The name is obvious when you see them. Most of the fossils are loose, but you can split the soft shale as well. Use the search feature here on the forum to see examples of what can be found.

Most quarries, if they let you in at all, will require that you be a member of a CCFMS club. Personally, I belong to the Scarborough and Kawartha clubs. For fossils, there aren't too many sites I know of that still allow access.

Happy Hunting

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks again,

Jan

There is a gravel pit on the main road just east of the town of Arkona. That is not the place that everyone is referring too. The actual site is Hungry Hollow (not a village). Continue past the gravel pit on the main east road (I think it is hwy 12) till you can make a left and see a sign that says "Hungry Hollow". Go on this road to the river, cross over and left onto Fossil road and drive till you get to a gate. Park and walk. There are fossils everywhere. You can walk past the gate to get to one of the clay pits.

crinus

Sylvan Road is the one you're looking for. The Hungry Hollow sign is at the end of this road, but not visible from the highway until you drive past it

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Welcome to the forum. I don't think Peter will mind if I cut in here ;)

There is no formal "set up", you can go in and poke around whenever you want. Just don't dig a big hole on the roadway, other than that, it's all up for grabs. It isn't a gravel pit, but mainly a clay pit, and very unpleasant if it's too wet. There are pits on each side of the river, and if you walk along the river bank, you'll come to an area collector's call the "high banks". The name is obvious when you see them. Most of the fossils are loose, but you can split the soft shale as well. Use the search feature here on the forum to see examples of what can be found.

Most quarries, if they let you in at all, will require that you be a member of a CCFMS club. Personally, I belong to the Scarborough and Kawartha clubs. For fossils, there aren't too many sites I know of that still allow access.

Happy Hunting

Thanks for the detailed info... you guys are great.

To get to the "high banks" area do you need permission from anyone? I just really do not want to be in the wrong.

There is a gravel pit on the main road just east of the town of Arkona. That is not the place that everyone is referring too. The actual site is Hungry Hollow (not a village). Continue past the gravel pit on the main east road (I think it is hwy 12) till you can make a left and see a sign that says "Hungry Hollow". Go on this road to the river, cross over and left onto Fossil road and drive till you get to a gate. Park and walk. There are fossils everywhere. You can walk past the gate to get to one of the clay pits.

crinus

Same question... any permission needed?

Thanks!

No permissions are needed anywhere at Hungry Hollow,provided you stay in the clay pits or along the river banks. Also, stay on the side of Sylvan rd. that the pits are on. Along the river on the east side of Sylvan rd. is private property and apparently owned by bikers. There is a path through the bush to the high banks at the north pit

No permissions are needed anywhere at Hungry Hollow,provided you stay in the clay pits or along the river banks. Also, stay on the side of Sylvan rd. that the pits are on. Along the river on the east side of Sylvan rd. is private property and apparently owned by bikers. There is a path through the bush to the high banks at the north pit

WOW THATS GREAT!

Thanks everyone for the information... today I plan on taking some photos of the finds I have so far to date and posting them. Some I'll put in the Fossil ID forum as I am not sure what they are... if they even are fossils and not some sort of mineral deposits.

Thanks again and am very grateful for the information.

Jan

Edited by 41714049

crinus

Just so I have it straight I made a map with labels to get it right...

Is area 'A' the "high banks" that was referred to?

I go to Fossil Road, stop at gate and walk toward area 'B' on the map to find fossils?

What is in area 'C'?

Also, are you allowed there during weekdays as well?

What areas should I restrict myself to?

HH.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

I go to Fossil Road, stop at gate and walk toward area 'B' on the map to find fossils?

What is in area 'C'?

HH.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

Area B is what we refer to as the north pit, area C is the south pit. From area B, there is a path along the river edge leading to the high-banks (area A). To get to the south pit, drive down Hungry Hollow rd and turn right. Park off to the side, closer to the pit as this is part of the local homeowner's driveway. There are also high banks on this side of the river, directly west over the river from the north pit. They can be accessed by walking along the river edge from the south pit (there is no path) or, if the water level is low, walk through from the north pit side. The water isn't deep, but it is dirty, so you won't see what you're stepping on. I've only ever gone on weekends, so I don't know what it's like during the week.

What is in area 'C'?

HH.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

It is no different on weekdays compared to weekends. The pits are no longer worked and are abandoned, except for the occassional dig at Pit B. Your best bet will be the high banks on either side of the river. There are exposures of Widder Formation/Hungry Hollow Member at those spots which contain the majority of the fossils. At Pit B where Fossil road ends and there is path going to the left, you can go straight and on the right side of that area is a dump pile of Hungry Hollow rock with lots of fossils. Also at Pit C. just below where the word Hungry is on your map is exposed Hungry Hollow rock with lots of fossils.

Below the Hungry Hollow is the Arkona Formation which is the main composition of the pits. The Arkona LOOKs like it is devoid of fossils. The fossils in the Arkona formation occur in pockets and you have to find a pocket in order to get some great fossils. That was good when they were digging the pits but these day it is VERY difficult. There will be small fossils all over the surface of the Arkona. Even tiny complete trilobites can be found if you crawl long enough on the surface. Almost all of the crinoids from Arkona that you see on my web page came from Pit C. Those were the great days.

crinus

Area B is what we refer to as the north pit, area C is the south pit. From area B, there is a path along the river edge leading to the high-banks (area A). To get to the south pit, drive down Hungry Hollow rd and turn right. Park off to the side, closer to the pit as this is part of the local homeowner's driveway. There are also high banks on this side of the river, directly west over the river from the north pit. They can be accessed by walking along the river edge from the south pit (there is no path) or, if the water level is low, walk through from the north pit side. The water isn't deep, but it is dirty, so you won't see what you're stepping on. I've only ever gone on weekends, so I don't know what it's like during the week.

It is no different on weekdays compared to weekends. The pits are no longer worked and are abandoned, except for the occassional dig at Pit B. Your best bet will be the high banks on either side of the river. There are exposures of Widder Formation/Hungry Hollow Member at those spots which contain the majority of the fossils. At Pit B where Fossil road ends and there is path going to the left, you can go straight and on the right side of that area is a dump pile of Hungry Hollow rock with lots of fossils. Also at Pit C. just below where the word Hungry is on your map is exposed Hungry Hollow rock with lots of fossils.

Below the Hungry Hollow is the Arkona Formation which is the main composition of the pits. The Arkona LOOKs like it is devoid of fossils. The fossils in the Arkona formation occur in pockets and you have to find a pocket in order to get some great fossils. That was good when they were digging the pits but these day it is VERY difficult. There will be small fossils all over the surface of the Arkona. Even tiny complete trilobites can be found if you crawl long enough on the surface. Almost all of the crinoids from Arkona that you see on my web page came from Pit C. Those were the great days.

crinus

Thanks again! WOW everyone on this forum is so helpful. Thank you so much for this information. Now I know I will not get lost... or shot for trespassing.

1 question... how do I tell the Arkona formation from the Hungry Hallow formation from everything else there (you can tell I am new to this?

I really appreciate all the knowledge here. When I get back from the trip I will be sure to let all of you know what I found and how I fell in the mud / water (happens every time I go hunting).

Thanks again,

Jan

The Arkona formation is the lowest level exposed at the site. It is basically clay, and a real mess when wet. Be careful with anything you find in this matrix as the clay will disintegrate when wet. Pyritized pieces, and enrolled trilobites are fine to rinse off. The Hungry Hollow member of the Widder formation is directly above the Arkona, between 2 thick limestone "shelves" and it is almost all fossils. The Widder formation is above the HH. The south pit only has Arkona and HH, the north pit is the same, except that the HH has been scraped off and piled up at the side of the laneway. The highbanks expose all, and are the best place to see the "shelves".

Here is info about a trip last fall, including a photo showing the formations at the north high banks (on pg.2)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/9792-forum-trip-to-hungry-hollow/

Edited by Northern Sharks

The Arkona formation is the lowest level exposed at the site. It is basically clay, and a real mess when wet. Be careful with anything you find in this matrix as the clay will disintegrate when wet. Pyritized pieces, and enrolled trilobites are fine to rinse off. The Hungry Hollow member of the Widder formation is directly above the Arkona, between 2 thick limestone "shelves" and it is almost all fossils. The Widder formation is above the HH. The south pit only has Arkona and HH, the north pit is the same, except that the HH has been scraped off and piled up at the side of the laneway. The highbanks expose all, and are the best place to see the "shelves".

Here is info about a trip last fall, including a photo showing the formations at the north high banks (on pg.2)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/9792-forum-trip-to-hungry-hollow/

Once again, thank you for the information I have learned much from this. Thank you.