Are There Any Phosphate Mines In Florida That The Public Can Search

Megalodon_hunter

Are there any phosphate mines in Florida that an average jo schmo like me can search.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Most phosphate mines, quarries and the like have to worry about the occasional yahoo who finds a lawyer and sues the company for some imagined or real slight. We live in a litigious society. Because we do, all insurance companies want to raise their fees a couple of thousand percent to insure against problems of allowing joe public on the property.

Having recognized why it is so difficult, there are ways: like joining a local fossil club. Read the newsletter:

http://www.fcolc.com/newsletters/news0709.pdf

You could coordinate a vacation with a club visit to a phosphate mine.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

:) Your best bet is joining a fossil club,however.....I and a friend have gotten in a couple with some good acting.He owns a really beat up john boat and I own a beat up work car.Add to this a couple of junk rod and reels,ragged clothing and a couple of days facial growth.We pull up and ask if we can fish.If they let us in we row a good ways then pull to the side and fossil hunt,putting the fossils in our tackle boxes. :D Works for us,sometimes. :P

Bear-dog.

:) Your best bet is joining a fossil club,however.....I and a friend have gotten in a couple with some good acting.He owns a really beat up john boat and I own a beat up work car.Add to this a couple of junk rod and reels,ragged clothing and a couple of days facial growth.We pull up and ask if we can fish.If they let us in we row a good ways then pull to the side and fossil hunt,putting the fossils in our tackle boxes. :D Works for us,sometimes. :P

bear dog,

that's a hoot. remind me on my next trip to florida to go "fishing" with you. :lolu:

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Not that anyone would ever advocate, on the Forum, an illegal act... :mellow:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Joining a club is a good idea. If you Scuba, there are many flooded mines you can access, but finding something, may be a different story.

That fishing act wouldnt work with Mosaic as they have stopped all fishing in the pits. The FIn and Feather club which was a coveted club to be in was ended and it started with a freind of mines bother and his son drowning in one of those pits. They really dont want anyone on their properties anymore

faith is a journey not a destination

www.rockhobbies.com