6 replies to this topic

#1 Megalodon_hunter

Megalodon_hunter

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

Are there any phosphate mines in Florida that an average jo schmo like me can search.
"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

#2 Shellseeker

Shellseeker

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

Most phosphate mines, quarries and the like have to worry about the occasional yahoo who finds a lawyer and sues the company for some imagined or real slight. We live in a litigious society. Because we do, all insurance companies want to raise their fees a couple of thousand percent to insure against problems of allowing joe public on the property.

Having recognized why it is so difficult, there are ways: like joining a local fossil club. Read the newsletter:
http://www.fcolc.com...rs/news0709.pdf
You could coordinate a vacation with a club visit to a phosphate mine.

#3 bear-dog

bear-dog

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

:) Your best bet is joining a fossil club,however.....I and a friend have gotten in a couple with some good acting.He owns a really beat up john boat and I own a beat up work car.Add to this a couple of junk rod and reels,ragged clothing and a couple of days facial growth.We pull up and ask if we can fish.If they let us in we row a good ways then pull to the side and fossil hunt,putting the fossils in our tackle boxes. :D Works for us,sometimes. :P
Bear-dog.

#4 fossiljunkie

fossiljunkie

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:46 AM

:) Your best bet is joining a fossil club,however.....I and a friend have gotten in a couple with some good acting.He owns a really beat up john boat and I own a beat up work car.Add to this a couple of junk rod and reels,ragged clothing and a couple of days facial growth.We pull up and ask if we can fish.If they let us in we row a good ways then pull to the side and fossil hunt,putting the fossils in our tackle boxes. :D Works for us,sometimes. :P

bear dog,
that's a hoot. remind me on my next trip to florida to go "fishing" with you. :lolu:
Today's the day!
Mel Fisher

#5 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,159 posts

Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

Not that anyone would ever advocate, on the Forum, an illegal act... :mellow:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

#6 Esteban

Esteban

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Joining a club is a good idea. If you Scuba, there are many flooded mines you can access, but finding something, may be a different story.

#7 coral daddy

coral daddy

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

That fishing act wouldnt work with Mosaic as they have stopped all fishing in the pits. The FIn and Feather club which was a coveted club to be in was ended and it started with a freind of mines bother and his son drowning in one of those pits. They really dont want anyone on their properties anymore
faith is a journey not a destination

www.rockhobbies.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users