Shell's Plate

astron

Hello everyone. I found these days this shell's plate in a new roadcut in middle Crete island, Greece. It's of the late Miocene and measures 25 x 16 x 7 cm. Eventhough the shells are not in fine condition, I respect this piece becouse it gives a sculpture ikon of that period's life. I need your help with the id of the presented species, that's why I tried to photo them individually hoping in a better result. Finally, a small piece of a plant's branch is on the edge of the plate and a question is what's its job among the shells. In my opinion, probably it was transfered there by the water currents.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

post-4345-095857000 1291661787_thumb.jpg

post-4345-075958700 1291661800_thumb.jpg

post-4345-062817700 1291661811_thumb.jpg

post-4345-036516100 1291661817_thumb.jpg

post-4345-082617700 1291661826_thumb.jpg

post-4345-080845200 1291661837_thumb.jpg

post-4345-094169700 1291661845_thumb.jpg

post-4345-048062200 1291661853_thumb.jpg

post-4345-057848700 1291661864_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Guest N.AL.hunter

Well I can't offer any help on the ID of the fossils,but I really like this assemblage of fossils all on one piece of matrix. Really nice display. I would defintiely go back and collect some more if I were there.

By the way, since youa re from Greece, my first name is Delos. Apollo and I talk all the time :)

Edited by N.AL.hunter

I also think that this is a beautiful plate! :wub: I am sorry that I do not know enough to help with the identifications.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

astron.... Nice fossil assemblage, I can see why you like it... Ive opened a book that has never been opened before to have a look for you... Obviously these are only an slight possibility, but based on what information I have...

The long Gastropod could be...Leptoconus edwardsi

The bivalves could be...Calpiaria sectarian

The ribbed bivalve could be... Glycymerita deleta

If nothing else it will give you something to google lol...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I also think that this is a beautiful plate! :wub: I am sorry that I do not know enough to help with the identifications.

Hello Auspex. Many thanks for the interest.

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

astron.... Nice fossil assemblage, I can see why you like it... Ive opened a book that has never been opened before to have a look for you... Obviously these are only an slight possibility, but based on what information I have...

The long Gastropod could be...Leptoconus edwardsi

The bivalves could be...Calpiaria sectarian

The ribbed bivalve could be... Glycymerita deleta

If nothing else it will give you something to google lol...

Hello Terry Dactyl. Many thanks for your valuable help. Very kind of you.

Best regards. Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Well I can't offer any help on the ID of the fossils,but I really like this assemblage of fossils all on one piece of matrix. Really nice display. I would defintiely go back and collect some more if I were there.

Hello N.AL.hunter. Many thanks for the interest. Fine your Greek name. Hane you gone to Delos Island?

By the way, since youa re from Greece, my first name is Delos. Apollo and I talk all the time :)

Hello N.AL.hunter. Many thanks for the interest. Fine your Greek name. Have you gone to Delos island? It's a beautiful place. As for the concrete fossils, really you can find enough in this very place but not in very good condition. From the same spot I collected and the rock in the pics wich divided offers the shown somehow hash plate. Dimensions of the rock when closed about 25 x 25 x 15 cm.

Any way, if you are to come here I am available for anything I can help.

Best regards

Astrinos

post-4345-046302100 1291743798_thumb.jpg

post-4345-040792500 1291743819_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis