Museu Mamut Barcelona!

FossilHunter.info

MUSEU MAMUT Carrer Montcada, Barcellona Spain

Walking in the beautiful Gothic barrio (Gothic Quarter) in Barcelona, along the road leading to the museum dedicated to the famous painter Pablo Picasso, Carrer Montcada, there is a small but interesting museum dedicated exclusively to the Quaternary and in particular to the large mammals that lived during Ice Age.

The cost of the ticket is extremely low....and even the difficulties of communication (since the staff does not speak English) they geve as a great welcome. At the entrance a paleontologist at the museum immediately and 'readily available to us.

Crossing the threshold, we found ourselves at the foot of a huge reconstruction of a hairy mammoth at least 3 meters. A few yards into the skull of a mammoth place at eye level, with our suddenly, surprised the paleontologist has kindly removed the strings of protection, to enable us to take some photos in close contact with the "big heads"!..continuing we got to meet several complete skeletons of Ovibos moscatus, equus lenensis Bison priscus, ursus spelaeus all in excellent condition and complete and faithful reproduction of a baby mammoth (the famous baby mammoth Lyuba just a few months, found in Siberia in 2007, the best preserved specimen that was ever found)

But the best was yet to come .... Joints in the penultimate room paleontologist took a mammoth humerus and have it literally put our arm!!.....Imagine how it feels to hold a bone giant 5 million years old and at least 60 kg heavierimmediately comes to my mind the pictures of the books I used to admire when I was young, stories that told of a shipment of men scattered on the ice to survive, are forced to eat the flesh of a mammoth found among the glaciers (and ultimately the story ' was considered a legend surely)..... After the bones it was the turn of the skin and hair (which still smelled strongly of animal)

Despite the small size, the museum can boast of being unique. In fact there are not other museums devoted entirely to animals of the ice age and above is the first interactive museum where you can touch, lift, and interact with exhibits fossiles !

post-4138-083304600 1291882694_thumb.jpg

post-4138-066598900 1291882699_thumb.jpg

post-4138-070389900 1291882703_thumb.jpg

post-4138-020024600 1291882709_thumb.jpg

post-4138-072472900 1291882715_thumb.jpg

post-4138-033271500 1291882723_thumb.jpg

post-4138-014332700 1291882732_thumb.jpg

post-4138-006566400 1291882743_thumb.jpg

post-4138-073147000 1291882746_thumb.jpg

post-4138-073134600 1291882757_thumb.jpg

post-4138-010043800 1291882765_thumb.jpg

post-4138-070190500 1291882767_thumb.jpg

Danny (Fossil Hunter)

FossilHunter.Info.... Looks like you had a great time... Its unusual you were allowed to touch the fossils so credit to the Palaeontologist who was prepared to spend some time with you showing you around... If I'm ever in Barcelona, I'll be sure to visit...Great report... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

What an opportunity to take photos for comparative reference!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

What an opportunity to take photos for comparative reference!

yes, i was going to ask him to go back there and take a thousand or so hi-res closeups to send me for reference purposes but i couldn't figure out how to ask for that without sounding "high-maintenance"...

Guest N.AL.hunter

What an honor to get to hold the actual fossils. I know of some musuems that have broken pieces out for "touching" but nothing whole and in such nice condition.

yes, i was going to ask him to go back there and take a thousand or so hi-res closeups to send me for reference purposes but i couldn't figure out how to ask for that without sounding "high-maintenance"...

I 'have got more pic ..and all in high res...if you need some all you have to do is just ask....is not a poblem .;)

Danny (Fossil Hunter)

Very nice report! I've been to museums with lots of hands on exhibits (not fossils). It makes the whole experience much more memorable. Thanks for sharing it with us!

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Very soon, an Ice Age Fauna museum will be opening in Asturias, northern Spain, home of many caves with prehistoric paintings, aswell as very old remains of human and non human fossils.

The museum in Barcelona and the one in Asturias sound really cool. I especially like the hands on experience (that is not a video screen or molded plastic!).

I guess the word "Museu" is Catalan, I am used to "Museo" from the museums I've been to in Mexico. If I ever get to tour Spain one day I'll make sure these museums are on the list.

Thanks for the posts,

Tony

The museum in Barcelona and the one in Asturias sound really cool. I especially like the hands on experience (that is not a video screen or molded plastic!).

I guess the word "Museu" is Catalan, I am used to "Museo" from the museums I've been to in Mexico. If I ever get to tour Spain one day I'll make sure these museums are on the list.

Thanks for the posts,

Tony

Hi Tony ,is a pleasure!

is the dog in the pic your dog!?!? looks like my crazy dog kelly !!!

Danny (Fossil Hunter)