Shell Within Matrix.

Dick Walters

Since the beaches of North Myrtle Beach, SC have been re-nourished a couple of times, fossils started showing up. One particuliar fossil was what was called a "turtle head". Its not an actual turtle head it just looks like one. The first ones I found several years ago were Ark shell cast. The ark and clam shells filled up with sediment and perfified which I'm sure most of you are familiar. They were said to be 65 million years old. This summer I started finding broken pieces of them and started looking at them very closely and found shell with in the matrix. This was my 1st one.

post-4629-0-72442400-1292727185_thumb.jpg

Since the beaches of North Myrtle Beach, SC have been re-nourished a couple of times, fossils started showing up. One particuliar fossil was what was called a "turtle head". Its not an actual turtle head it just looks like one. The first ones I found several years ago were Ark shell cast. The ark and clam shells filled up with sediment and perfified which I'm sure most of you are familiar. They were said to be 65 million years old. This summer I started finding broken pieces of them and started looking at them very closely and found shell with in the matrix. This was my 1st one.

post-4629-0-72442400-1292727185_thumb.jpg

Hi Dick, yep, looks like you found a nice little spiral shaped gastropod (snail) internal mold. Interesting to see the very dark gray matrix/sediment as well--I wonder where it originated. I wonder if other members have similar finds from that area. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Chris

Hi Dick, yep, looks like you found a nice little spiral shaped gastropod (snail) internal mold. Interesting to see the very dark gray matrix/sediment as well--I wonder where it originated. I wonder if other members have similar finds from that area. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Chris

Thanks Plantguy, I guess most people that walk the beach don't pick up the rock looking black items and look at them. After I found this one I started looking at all the one that looked interesting and have found some intereresting matrix. Will be posting more later.