• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#121 jackson32

jackson32

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Found this mooneye at McABee last year. Unfortunately the eye looks a bit baleful but it is pristine.Attached File  IMG_0307.JPG   1.4MB   47 downloads

#122 Fossildude19

Fossildude19

MOTM - 06/11 - Veteran Shale Splitter

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
  • Location:Connecticut, United States. Lower Jurassic, Shuttle Meadow & East Berlin FMs

Awards

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Found this mooneye at McABee last year. Unfortunately the eye looks a bit baleful but it is pristine.Attached File  IMG_0307.JPG   1.4MB   47 downloads

Beautiful fish!
Thanks for posting that!
Regards,

Tim

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir  
          ~    ~    ~    ~      ><))))(*>

#123 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

It is not common to find complete fish. Nearly all are Eohiodon roseii. Only 3 individual samples of other species have been discovered. It is really common to find fish bits. Everyone who is up there for an hour finds at least one piece.
John
"Blimey! Would you look at the size of that!"
McAbee is the other woman!

#124 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

This is the eosalmo I found a few summers ago. It is in the Thompson Rivers University collection, but I still have not received any creidt for it, which I think is a small, but important point.
This is the second, but most complete one to be found in BC. It is also the largest one found at 17 and a bit" or 47.5cm.
This one did not get away!
John

#125 jackson32

jackson32

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

This is the eosalmo I found a few summers ago. It is in the Thompson Rivers University collection, but I still have not received any creidt for it, which I think is a small, but important point.
This is the second, but most complete one to be found in BC. It is also the largest one found at 17 and a bit" or 47.5cm.
This one did not get away!
John

A amazing size. The fins and spine are so well defined. Kamloops Lake? David

#126 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

That was found at McAbee around the corner from my own hole and just past the roped off area.
I was out there today again. I had to take my jacket off for a while. No snow. Nothing but fossils today.
I got so many flowers and small insects (ichneumons, fungus gnats, etc) that I was a little happy.
The awesome cockroach waiting to be fully uncovered and the flies! Oh the flies!
And the leaves. Oh the leaves!
I'm in heaven...
I am a fossil whisperer when it comes to McAbee.
Eat your heart out institutions!
John

#127 ssuntok

ssuntok

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

What's happening at McAbee now? I heard the government had expropriated it and it's future was in limbo. Is the site still accessible for collecting?
Steve Suntok

#128 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,469 posts

Awards

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hi John, I see you've gotten in touch with your "inner photographer"; nice work!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

#129 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Just follow this link to fall down the rabbit hole:

http://www.gov.bc.ca/for/index.html

Released Feb 25: negotiations still going on: non-disclosure agreement now seems redundant: have asked governemnt for clarification.
Seems they are trying to argue the fossils have no value!!!
They are doing this to protect the significant fossils that have no value.
I think it is a very good argument if you can follow the logic.
Anyone who can explain the logic in it please let me know

#130 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

The government have announced that they intend to put our claim along with some others within a Heritage Site Designation. This means the end of Dave's McAbee dreams as we know. Once negotiations are completed with all the tenure holders, the government will officially have the land back from all private parties. Our business will cease to exist. It is comforting that they used Heritage Designation rather than Park Designation. Park designation means all the exposures within the park boundary would be off limits to everyone without a permit. It could become the private playground of a few. However, Heritage Designation provides wiggle room. So I am hoping that I may be able to continue Dave's dream, just under a different set of rules and a new name.

#131 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Some more of the story:
John

#132 pleecan

pleecan

Member of the Month 08/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Awards

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Beautiful specimens John and sad to see the site closed.... you were one of the lucky one that had to chance to collect there.... the fossils in your collection have suddenly gained some monetary value over night.....

#133 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

When you click on the link, the video is missing. Click on the white area to the left of the text to see the video:
John

#134 Rosco

Rosco

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

That's very unfortunate. I had been hoping that the site could be maintained as is, but alas. At least it's not going to become off limits to everyone like Burgess. It would be a shame to see such a site become "protected" and have collectible but scientifically insignificant specimens turn to dust since they do not interest scientists.

Edited by Rosco, 29 February 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#135 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

My feelings exactly, I'm glad to know there are others on the same wavelength as it were. I was up at Burgess in 1990 and saw the kind of things that no one was allowed to have and were destined for oblivion.
I too am glad I had 2 chances to collect at McAbee and wonder if my specimens have jumped in value?? (Not that I'm planning to sell them)

Edited by Wrangellian, 03 March 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#136 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Well, here is the proof so far:
John

#137 ssuntok

ssuntok

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Doesn't look like it's signed properly - the person who signed is not the person identified under the signature (dif name). The word "for" and the date "30/03/2012" also appears to have been added in by someone else, not the signator, after the fact. Pretty sloppy at the very least, maybe invalid?
Steve Suntok

#138 piranha

piranha

IPFOTM 08/11; *2011 IPFOTY

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts

Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Doesn't look like it's signed properly - the person who signed is not the person identified under the signature (dif name). The word "for" and the date "30/03/2012" also appears to have been added in by someone else, not the signator, after the fact. Pretty sloppy at the very least, maybe invalid?

Just a formality and only a temporary cease and desist order. Evidently that person is duly authorized to sign and has inserted the word 'for' designating that fact in place of the Deputy Minister. This is an immediate action to bridge the time period until the official edict can be sworn, attested and placed on the books.

#139 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Just in case you forget what we have found there, here are a couple of close ups of one of my flies from last summer's collection.

#140 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Just released after some persuading.Finally some acknowledgement of Dave's role.
John

Time to honour 'Mr. McAbee' for saving fossils
By Stephen Hume, Vancouver SunApril 19, 2012
The provincial government is now consulting with stakeholders over plans to assign the McAbee fossil beds near Cache Creek official heritage status, finally addressing the con-sequences of its own issuing of mineral leases that exposed the site to industrial mining.
Meanwhile, John Leahy, who works as a guide at the site, writes to argue that there's another aspect that falls some-where between the concerns of the scientific community and the prospect of grinding up irreplaceable specimens into absorbent material for Kitty Litter.
He says that if it hadn't been for the late David Langevin staking a claim on an easily accessible portion of the fossil bed from which some of the site's outstanding specimens have been excavated, it, too would have been unprotected from heavy mechanical equipment.
Langevin staked his claim in 1991, Leahy says, to protect it and to allow individuals to collect fossils from his site.
"What makes this unassuming piece of history so significant is that today, this little insignificant land he protected is now better known as the McAbee fossil beds," Leahy says. "This site has become the 'in' site for government and science has now deemed it significant enough to place it within a heritage site designation.
"The role that David has played in this transformation has never been given justice."
Leahy argues that Langevin's commitment to the site, his willingness to share the fossils with science and with amateur fossil collectors - like astronomy, paleontology is one of those arms of science with a rich history of contributions by amateurs - and the curious public, and that his donations of significant specimens played a direct role in the new designation.
The McAbee site is a 50-million-year-old lake bed from the Cretaceous period when what's now British Columbia was much warmer. Leaves, pollen, insects, fish and birds that fell into the sediments and were covered as the lake filled in were preserved in whole communities.
Scientists are able to study these specimens in relation to one another and to discern patterns of evolutionary change which provide evidence about changing climate and its influence over millions of years.
Paleontologists have said the site is of global significance for research and several recent papers by B.C. paleontologists based on McAbee fossil assemblages have drawn worldwide attention.
Leahy says that he, Langevin and the claim's other owner, have all donated specimens that have been named after them as thanks from the scientific community for their responsibility.
"Prior to opening the site up to the public, very little was known about the fossils there," Leahy writes. "Very few scientific papers had been published prior to this time also.
"Since Dave's involvement and scientific responsibility, 30 papers have been published. These papers have named a new genus of flower, a new genus of scorpion fly, and a new genus of crayfish, which is the first time this family has been found in the northern hemisphere.
"There are also 23 new species of insect and three new species of plant. Many more specimens are still with the scientists currently being studied, waiting to be added to this growing list."
Leahy writes that anyone who has collected a specimen from the McAbee beds since 1991, whether rockhound, school student taking a guided tour or paleontologist, has Langevin to thank for protecting it from being mined commercially.
More than 60 per cent of the fossil collection held by Thompson Rivers University was donated by Langevin, he notes.
"Dave had no intention of stirring up any controversy. Over the time he owned the claim, he believed he was protecting it and demonstrating proper stewardship. He was 'Mr. McA-bee' and he needs his proactive and responsible role to be known. April 5, 2012, mark[ed] the first anniversary of his death. He is sorely missed, but fondly remembered."
shume@islandnet.com

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1samhrZqo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users