Ontario Ordovician Whatzit

Northern Sharks

On today's hunt, me favorite find might well be this piece. I don't know if this is the same as what Bill was stumped by here

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/17075-gamebridge-quarry-mystery-fossil/page__p__188769__hl__verulam__fromsearch__1#entry188769

but it was found in the same general area. It looks like a monoplacophoran (cap shell snail) with the beak being offset and symmetrical through it, but it has the plates. That would suggest echinoderm to me. Under hand lens magnification, I can't see any stem attachment mark. The "beak" is smooth, no evidence of a stem, and the plates there are different than those on top. It is 12mm wide, and from the ordovician Verulam formation. Any ideas????

post-77-0-95002600-1306715301_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-33053300-1306715333_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-78614200-1306715360_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice find Kevin! No clue but looks like echinoderm of some sort....

How did the group make out at JD? Hope you found lots of fossils : )

Looks real nice, can you see other shells attached to the gastropod like maybe many Petrocrania on a snail, or just a bumpy gastropod shell. I have seen Petrocrania covering a brachiopod shell like this before from the Ordovician in Tenn.

Edited by Archimedes
  • I found this Informative 1

Looks real nice, can you see other shells attached to the gastropod like maybe many Petrocrania on a snail, or just a bumpy gastropod shell. I have seen Petrocrania covering a brachiopod shell like this before from the Ordovician in Tenn.

Nice call on the ID Archimedes! Here is Petrocrania scabiosa as figured from Index Fossils of North America. Google searching reveals they are described as thin "scabby patches" that affix to a mixed variety of hosts that often show the underlying ornamentation of the object to which it is attached. Quite an appropriate name and a heckuva fun thing to learn about. I was convinced it had to be an echinoderm!

Thanks again! :D

post-4301-0-49196400-1306721540_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

very cool and unique fossil Kevin!:)

great job on the ID, too!B)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Never heard of such a thing! What a wondrous world :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Neat find, Northern!:)

And thanks for the info Archimedes and Scott! :D

I have never heard of Petrocrania scabiosa.

I'm amazed by the wealth of knowledge here on the forum!

I'm constantly learning something new.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

An inarticulate brachiopod.... I would have never guessed. I'll have to keep an eye out for those. Awesome fossil.

Just to follow up on this, it isn't as cut and dry as it seems. I asked a couple of members off the board who are veteran collectors of the same area.

Crinus doesn't agree with Petrocrania, but doesn't have any other ideas

Trilobitologist says echinoderm, possibly a paracrinoid. Not Petrocrania

Shamalama, very knowledgable with devonian species(although this is ordovician) says definitely not Petrocrania (which also occur in the devonian)

The ROM also suggests echinoderm, and again possibly a paracrinoid. There are only 2 described genuses of paracrinoid in the area, Amygdalocystites and Comarocystites, and this specimen is not the latter. The ROM does go on to say that there is a large number of Verulam species that remain undescribed

The plot thickens.......................

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Cue evil Laughter: Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :ph34r:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Just to follow up on this, it isn't as cut and dry as it seems. I asked a couple of members off the board who are veteran collectors of the same area.

Crinus doesn't agree with Petrocrania, but doesn't have any other ideas

Trilobitologist says echinoderm, possibly a paracrinoid. Not Petrocrania

Shamalama, very knowledgable with devonian species(although this is ordovician) says definitely not Petrocrania (which also occur in the devonian)

The ROM also suggests echinoderm, and again possibly a paracrinoid. There are only 2 described genuses of paracrinoid in the area, Amygdalocystites and Comarocystites, and this specimen is not the latter. The ROM does go on to say that there is a large number of Verulam species that remain undescribed

The plot thickens.......................

That is a very crowded cluster of craziness! Still it was fun to learn about Petrocrania- better use a pencil for that ID card. :o:P:blink:

Keep us posted Kevin!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 3 years later...

Now that I see it again, Maybe it could be a Monoplacophoran with lots of little tiny Petrocrania on the surface? Just never seen them that small before. Even in the Cincinnati area Petrocrania are fairly large.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/