Oligocene Bird Feather

Napoleon North

That's an interesting piece, from a good seller.

My link

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex... Your definately on top of your game :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

While there is no way to identify the bird from which this feather came, we can safely conclude that it is not from anything as small as a hummingbird; it is a body contour feather, and the bird that lost it had to be bigger than a Starling, at least.

And it can be a sparrow?

This feather is too large to be a contour feather from a sparrow. The bird would have had to be bigger than a Starling (Sternus vulgaris), and maybe quite a lot bigger. We will never know.

So probably a European swallow? Not an African swallow? Not heavily laiden? :P

Sorry, couldnt resist!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Europen , Poland not African bird feather.

Edited by Napoleon North

By the Oligocene, a fully modern avifauna had been established, and were doing what they do today. Thus, there is near certainty that the area this fossil came from hosted at least 300 species of birds through the year. Balance this against the tiny number of fossil species described from the region, and the hope of assigning this feather to one of them becomes quite hopeless.

In extremely rare instances, the perfect preservation of microscopic details (feathers in amber, for example) might allow tentative identification to the family level. This one will have to remain a generic "feather".

Europen , Poland not African bird feather.

I think MikeDOTB was making a joke.

It's a reference to Monty Python's Holy Grail.