Englishtown Formation New Jersey

phytosaur

Here are two fossils which i found at a site in the englishtown formation of new jersey, from the lower campanian of the upper cretaceous. One is a crocodile scute, i'm not sure of the species, and the other is plant material, probably a cone of some sort. At this site was a layer of carbonized wood, much of it with worm borings in them, i found the cone in this layer.

post-5286-0-74147800-1311131482_thumb.jpg

post-5286-0-19252900-1311131512_thumb.jpg

post-5286-0-89234400-1311131539_thumb.jpg

post-5286-0-29703900-1311131580_thumb.jpg

post-5286-0-61235700-1311131626_thumb.jpg

post-5286-0-03549800-1311131654_thumb.jpg

"Carbonized Cretaceous cone"...a cool find that is also alliterative!

What are you doing to preserve it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice finds, and unusual too as most of southern NJ is malls and houses now. Keep an eye on that spot as there might be more to come out of it. And don't let Lord Piney get to it or he'll find all the mosasaur teeth before you even knew they were there! :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Haha, yeah, hopefully the scute is a sign of more vertebrate material to come.

Very nice finds, and unusual too as most of southern NJ is malls and houses now. Keep an eye on that spot as there might be more to come out of it. And don't let Lord Piney get to it or he'll find all the mosasaur teeth before you even knew they were there! :P

wadda you mean dave? :P i dont find them all...trust me! nice croc and plant material phytosaur!

Nice finds! I don't think I've ever seen crocodile material from NJ. But then again I'm very new to this whole fossil thing.

yeah, this is the first crocodile material i have found in nj. I think that it is from a terrestrial deposit, so i'm not surprised.

there's quite a bit of croc material to find in jersey fellas...it just degrades quickly once it hits the stream bed. if possible, try to get into inversand before they close for good. lots of croc stuff in there.

I was under the impression it was already too late for Inversand.

But yes, there is croc material around. I've got a few scutes and teeth from the creeks.

Too late, its already closed and they level the place for the NJ Museum dig.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

has it been leveled yet? i have been to almost all the fossil sites in our area, and that was one which i always wanted to go to, but never had the chance.

I'll bet there is still some good digging to be had there. Wonder if the DVPS can get in through the museum?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I also would like to know, leveled? Or just closed to entrance? I've found some croc stuff in there, teeth and a vert. Turtle material as well. Bone and shell. So, is it already leveled Bob? Level with me. Ha Ha.

• 3 weeks later...

nice scute and cone, how did the elmers mix work out ? Ive pulled some carbonized wood out of a South Jersey stream recently (possibly the same one as yours) and it hasnt done too well after it dries out. Im planning on checking out some other local streams to see if there are any other local exposures,

I went to the Township municipal building about 2 weeks ago to ask about the status of the Inversand redevelopment project and the guy I talked to was very helpful and told me all the current developments, that it would be a couple years before anything was built and that they were expecting a major dig there before any construction began so Im hoping they need volunteers again :)

Archived