Few Unknowns From The Past Month

-AnThOnY-

Ok have a few unknowns two of them are mollusks and the other I am not too sure about but will put in here.

1. Owl Creek Formation north central MS

DSC_0928.jpg

2. Ripley Formation, see these all the time (broken), but just recently found a spot and got 5-6 whole ones.

DSC_0929-1.jpg

3. Owl Creek. Not sure what to even think this is really. Have a few pieces, but this is the first whole one I have found.

Top (outward)

DSC_0944.jpg

Bottom (inward)

DSC_0945.jpg

It also curves outward towards the fatter end

Partial showing inner structure (the "structural" pieces inside are fairly cylindrical in shape)

DSC_0931.jpg

Thanks for any help!

The first shell is:

Inoceramus, probably I.platinus I think or I.llabatus. A very common Bivalve in the interior seaway deposits. That one is a keeper due to increased fragility of their shell geometry.

http://www.fuhrmann-hilbrecht.de/Heinz/geology/InoIntro/InoIntro.html

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

The first shell is:

Inoceramus, probably I.platinus I think or I.llabatus. A very common Bivalve in the interior seaway deposits. That one is a keeper due to increased fragility of their shell geometry.

http://www.fuhrmann-hilbrecht.de/Heinz/geology/InoIntro/InoIntro.html

Thanks! I have found it to be a common bivalve too, however this is the first one that has been whole, and even better includes both halves.

Try comparing #2 to Plicatula tetrica or P. saffordi.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Try comparing #2 to Plicatula tetrica or P. saffordi.

Hmm not sure. The first "recent" example of Plicatula tetrica on google images looks fairly close but none of the fossil papers have anything similar and it seems like Plicatula tetrica has alot of different faces?

Hmm not sure. The first "recent" example of Plicatula tetrica on google images looks fairly close but none of the fossil papers have anything similar and it seems like Plicatula tetrica has alot of different faces?

I was looking at this Old Reference. Page 283 and Plate 46.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Anthony do you think pics 3-4 are views of a partial crab chela?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The first bivalve is an inoceramid, as Texas-Tunnel Rat suggested, but the genus Inoceramus was a catch-all that has been split into several genera. Your specimen is a Mytiloides; I'm not sure of the species yet. "Inoceramus" labiatus is also now put into Mytiloides, and it is a guide fossil for the Turonian, so that species is too old for the Owl Creek.

I agree with Dan that the last specimen looks like a crab/lobster claw fragment.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the positive on the first one.

And I am not at all really thinking its part of a claw, I am curious as to know what makes yall think that. The partials I usually find at that site are pretty well preserved in appearance and they are all Dakotacancer.

Heres one from last trip, best detailed I have ever found!, just got too it about one rain storm too late and most of the carapace shell is gone.

DSC03652.jpg

Another thing that stood out to me was the horizontal lines that are spaced out on both specimens.

anthony-in the dakoticancer australis lagerstatte i've been working for 6 years i've taken many dak carapaces. for whatever reason i infrequently find another large crustacean represented only by claw partials of the working surface of the claw. i have many similar specimens to yours that i could show you. i assume this is the thickest cross section and therefore most durable portion of the entire critter. i'd be interested to see a side view of your specimen to see if it has a slightly wavy profile reminiscent of modern claws. forgive my lack of off the cuff crustacean anatomical jargon.

Grüße,

I think the second clam may be Paranomia scabra (Morton). See "The Fauna of the Ripley Formation at coon Creek, Tennessee", By Bruce Wade, US Geological Survey, Professional Paper 137, 1926, pg 67, Plate XXII.

The above reference also shows two Inoceramus clams but neither are as ovate as the specimen in question.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

also thinking this bigger crab/lobster may not have resided in burrows during whatever sedimentation event buried the daks, so scavenging and turbulent wave action reduced unprotected remains to what is left. pure unsubstantiated speculation on my part.

Grüße,

Interesting...will get a side picture later today so you can compare. Just hard for me to see crab in it lol, and don't see evidence of it ever being attached to anything.

Edit: Side view

DSC_0949.jpg

Edited by -AnThOnY-

Found this picture as well. Looks very similar actually (right above quarter). Says Paw Paw formation in TX.

8-5-2007-054-800.jpg

LINK

Edited by JohnJ
Link added - Photo from North Texas Fossils.com

your specimen is totally crustacean, and huge too...congrats

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

• 1 year later...

Ok have a few unknowns two of them are mollusks and the other I am not too sure about but will put in here.

1. Owl Creek Formation north central MS

DSC_0928.jpg

2. Ripley Formation, see these all the time (broken), but just recently found a spot and got 5-6 whole ones.

DSC_0929-1.jpg

3. Owl Creek. Not sure what to even think this is really. Have a few pieces, but this is the first whole one I have found.

Top (outward)

DSC_0944.jpg

Bottom (inward)

DSC_0945.jpg

It also curves outward towards the fatter end

Partial showing inner structure (the "structural" pieces inside are fairly cylindrical in shape)

DSC_0931.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Yep, AnThonY- THAT is it! Thanks! BF