Signs That You May, In Fact, Be Obsessed With Fossils

Missourian

- When relocating, you consider the local rock strata when choosing a city.

- You pick a certain job because there is a good road cut nearby that you can check out on your lunch break.

- You take the night shift so you can have more daylight to collect.

- When buying a house, you turn down those with finished basements because you need room for fossil storage and a prep area.

- You finally settle on a house because it has a limestone facade in the front.

- You then chip a Composita subtilita out of the facade.

- You nickname the levels of your home with geologic period names, just so you can say you have a Precambrian basement.

- When you complain about space for your fossils, your issue isn't a lack of space, but rather a lack of fossils to fill the excess space.

- The dollar value of your collection probably exceeds that of your house. (Notice that I didn't say 'car', because that wouldn't be obsessive.... :) )

- The fossils still in the trunk of your car give you better traction in the winter. You don't have to get bags of sand.

- You crawl out of the woods wet and muddy, carring a camera and a pick hammer, and don't care what joggers passing by think of you.

- You manage to work your collecting habits into a marriage prenup.

- You name your kids 'Devon' and 'Missy'.

- You contemplate having more children so you can name them 'Meg' and 'Calyx'.

- When getting a dog, you choose a pug because they resemble your favorite trilobite.

- For halloween, you dress up your dog as a trilobite in matrix.

Edited by Missourian
  • I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

You spend time on an internet forum devoted to ....

You can tell what airport you are in just by which fossils you can find in the marble floor tile.

Your family is meeting in the Bahamas for New Years and you just mope around because the better fossils are in Florida.

laughing%20on%20the%20floor%2024.gif I almost pi...ed myself laughing!

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Daylight? Who needs daylight?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

-your Christmas tree is a cycad.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

-your Christmas tree is a cycad.

You can get more lights onto a tree fern.

Context is critical.

You go to the freezer for some ice cubes but they are all filled with fossils.

You want a bowl of chocolate ice cream but all the bowls are filled too..

Welcome to the forum!

You can't retire because your fossil addiction won't allow it. Or, when you pull your boots off to dump the sand out, you find a small shark tooth. (actually done that one) Most peoples wives complain about the change found in the bottom of the washing machine, yours complains about the shark teeth found in the washing machine. (actually done that one also) The clue here is that none of this sounds abnormal. Merry Christmas everyone.

Bobby

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

you check fossilforum before email

your dreams often involve sharp pointy things, without being nightmares

during airplane trips to sunny vacation destinations you wonder what age those rocks are in that quarry below not even knowing what state you are in

xmas day to you just means less competition at the local sites

you forget that the species named after you probably won't impress her

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

You cannot remember your wedding aniversary but remember the dates and specific time of your most favorite finds.

Wife--when is our anniversary? Husband--ughhhhh.... Wife- When did you find the T Rex? Husband-9:42 and 32 seconds on the 28th of July 12.2 miles from mile marker 27, 4 feet 2 1/2 inches below ground which resulted in 6.4 cubic yards of light brown clay that was a litlle damp....

Chelebele

you can't find that 15 lb rock your looking for in your living room...

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

you check fossilforum before email

Before? Seriously, I've completely forgotten to check my email for whole days....

during airplane trips to sunny vacation destinations you say dang i wonder what age those rocks are in that quarry below

or sketch the quarry and surrounding landmarks on an in-flight drink napkin.

Context is critical.

Sharkbyte beat me too it.

The fossils and especially shark teeth that are found in the washer, dryer, dishwasher, on the floor, in every sink of the house, and sometimes in the display cases and on the shelves.

or

Your last trip to the emergency room was to have a sand tiger tooth removed from your foot.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

the only problem is the cool fossils are not there in morning , just memories of the finds I do not have :drool: :Drool: :drool:

Your last trip to the emergency room was to have a sand tiger tooth removed from your foot.

Is the emergency room visit necessary because you don't want to damage the tooth during extraction? :)

Context is critical.

you start to recognize individual rocks at sites you frequent

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

- The first time you go to someone's house you spend over an hour looking through their landscaping rocks for fossils.

- Then when you find one you actually contemplate whether they will miss it or not

- When you travel you leave room in your suitcase in case there are fossils you will need to bring back.

- And finally, your favorite dreams are about collecting fossils!