Benedeni Or Mako?

Mudduck

I am leaning toward mako. Can you do a profile shot from the side.

So what species do you think. Retroflexus?

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Okay, I won't go 100% bene on this one, but will certainly conceed it could be. So 50/50. I have seen many a lower posterior narrow toothed mako (desori, praecursor) and others that have looked very benish. Let's remember that the benedeni is called a false mako for a reason. Most beni have a much thicker root than this one and the profile shots often show a root as much as twice as thick as the thickest part of the blade. Having said this, I have seen a few benedeni that had much flater roots like most makos (upper desori aside). In anycase, I think most would not argue with you if you call it benedeni. My hold out though remains the lack of root.

I have attempted to research other Mako's and Bene's and I can not ID as either one. That is why I posted it here. i agree with the root but have not been able to compare a Mako with the shape of the tooth. I have held up the tooth and compared it with the profile of that of a Bene. It matches some of the Bene's that I have found on line..but then again the root. I have also noticed that there are several out there that will ID a tooth and even I know that it was misidentified and I am a novice.

Is there a value that one can put on this tooth?

Thanks everyone! I really love this forum. :)

I have to agree with DeloiVarden on this. It could be Benedini, but I agree about the root. It looks awful smallish to me. The Benedini's I have seen from Lee Creek have very large robust roots, and this tooth lacks that. As far as shape, I am pretty sure I can produce some mako's out of my collection that would be very close to this, unless I have some miss ID'd Beni's.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I have attempted to research other Mako's and Bene's and I can not ID as either one. That is why I posted it here. i agree with the root but have not been able to compare a Mako with the shape of the tooth. I have held up the tooth and compared it with the profile of that of a Bene. It matches some of the Bene's that I have found on line..but then again the root. I have also noticed that there are several out there that will ID a tooth and even I know that it was misidentified and I am a novice.

Is there a value that one can put on this tooth?

Thanks everyone! I really love this forum. :)

Value??? Sold as a mako $5-10, as a benedeni maybe $30. The fact that it is hard to say for sure which it is will make getting the later tough. It is a pretty tooth regardless though.

Okay, I won't go 100% bene on this one, but will certainly conceed it could be. So 50/50. I have seen many a lower posterior narrow toothed mako (desori, praecursor) and others that have looked very benish. Let's remember that the benedeni is called a false mako for a reason. Most beni have a much thicker root than this one and the profile shots often show a root as much as twice as thick as the thickest part of the blade. Having said this, I have seen a few benedeni that had much flater roots like most makos (upper desori aside). In anycase, I think most would not argue with you if you call it benedeni. My hold out though remains the lack of root.

Oligocene Parotodus and juvenile Pliocene Parotodus apear mako shaped with reduced thickness roots. Note the juvenile tooth at right in the picture below. However, comparing them to teeth in the modern dentitions (I have 5 longfin jaws plus several isolated teeth and 6 shortfin jaws, 1 additional completely removed dentition and multiple isolated teeth ranging from infant to adult, not to mention several hundred fossil teeth from Eocene-Pliocene), that particular blade and root shape combination is unique to Parotodus (well almost as Cretoxyrhina has something similar)

100_0095_800.jpg

So, in your opinion this (my tooth) is a juvenile Parotodus? I think this is what you are saying...? It does look like the tooth that is pictured (lower right).

Archived