My First Fossil Hunting Trip

xnorfolkcityblue

Hi everyone. I am a new fossil hunter i guess you could say, and i am new to this forum. I've hunted for gold in California, indian stuff in N. carolina, and in the last couple years sharks teeth around caspersons beach.

I along with my girl friend took a spontaneous last minute trip to Arcadia Fl. this past friday and found out that mark renz had a group going to Brownville park so we found a room at the Knights inn in arcadia and met them saturday morning at the burger king in arcadia. By this time i had already done alot of reading friday night and knew of Brownville park as a possible decent place to hunt.

We got to the park and mark went over some things and what to look for. ( He was great ) I just wanted to get down on the river to start hunting. I brought along my own sifters that i had made for caspersons shark teeth hunting. I bought a $10 shovel at big lots and after 10 minutes i knew why the darn thing was so cheap. I broke it and saw that it had a hollow handle. Anyways my g friend and i spent about 4 hours working some gravel on bedrock. I couldn't find any place more than 12 inches deep. BUT, we did ok. No Meg teeth, but over 100 shark teeth, many bone chunks ( mostly dugong ), a horse tooth, a barnacle,awhale ear bone, and an alligator pad with complete spike. We were happy. I am ready to go again, maybe even this weekend. I just joined so i can't post any pics yet but i will when i can.

One thing i was wondering about is the permit. From what i am reading about what systematic collecting is: Maybe i don't need one at this point. I am not buying or selling or trading. I am not planning on hitting the same place more than 3 times or 24 hours in a calendar year. Maybe i can't use but a 2 foot long shovel but i don't know. I have started on the paperwork but i don't want to have to wait 2 or 3 weeks and i could stand to save that $75 fee. What do you guys think ? Thanks and happy hunting

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your future posts and pictures of your finds. I am in SC, so don't know a lot about Fl permitting, but I would always error on the side of caution and spring for the permit. That way if there is ever a question, you are covered. It isn't optional in SC at all, though some probably think it is.

Thanks Deloi. I suppose that i had better wait for that permit. I having lived in N Carolina for a few years had heard about some decent hunting locations up there. Good luck in your yet to come adventures.

Welcome to the Forum!

There is nothing to prevent you from posting pictures in the forums; it is permission to create a gallery that id delayed for new members.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oh ! Thanks Auspex. I guess I Misunderstood. I will get them together and upload them incase anyone would like to c them............