• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xnorfolkcityblue

xnorfolkcityblue

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi everyone. I am a new fossil hunter i guess you could say, and i am new to this forum. I've hunted for gold in California, indian stuff in N. carolina, and in the last couple years sharks teeth around caspersons beach.
I along with my girl friend took a spontaneous last minute trip to Arcadia Fl. this past friday and found out that mark renz had a group going to Brownville park so we found a room at the Knights inn in arcadia and met them saturday morning at the burger king in arcadia. By this time i had already done alot of reading friday night and knew of Brownville park as a possible decent place to hunt.
We got to the park and mark went over some things and what to look for. ( He was great ) I just wanted to get down on the river to start hunting. I brought along my own sifters that i had made for caspersons shark teeth hunting. I bought a $10 shovel at big lots and after 10 minutes i knew why the darn thing was so cheap. I broke it and saw that it had a hollow handle. Anyways my g friend and i spent about 4 hours working some gravel on bedrock. I couldn't find any place more than 12 inches deep. BUT, we did ok. No Meg teeth, but over 100 shark teeth, many bone chunks ( mostly dugong ), a horse tooth, a barnacle,awhale ear bone, and an alligator pad with complete spike. We were happy. I am ready to go again, maybe even this weekend. I just joined so i can't post any pics yet but i will when i can.
One thing i was wondering about is the permit. From what i am reading about what systematic collecting is: Maybe i don't need one at this point. I am not buying or selling or trading. I am not planning on hitting the same place more than 3 times or 24 hours in a calendar year. Maybe i can't use but a 2 foot long shovel but i don't know. I have started on the paperwork but i don't want to have to wait 2 or 3 weeks and i could stand to save that $75 fee. What do you guys think ? Thanks and happy hunting

#2 DeloiVarden

DeloiVarden

VFOTM 08/11

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Awards

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your future posts and pictures of your finds. I am in SC, so don't know a lot about Fl permitting, but I would always error on the side of caution and spring for the permit. That way if there is ever a question, you are covered. It isn't optional in SC at all, though some probably think it is.

#3 xnorfolkcityblue

xnorfolkcityblue

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Deloi. I suppose that i had better wait for that permit. I having lived in N Carolina for a few years had heard about some decent hunting locations up there. Good luck in your yet to come adventures.

#4 FossilFreak

FossilFreak

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Here's all the info you need on the Florida fossil permit. http://www.flmnh.ufl...eo/vppermit.htm Get one. It's cheap. If I recall correctly, you need it for all vertebrates (except shark teeth).

Paying other people is expensive, but you can learn a lot. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

#5 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,199 posts

Awards

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Welcome to the Forum!
There is nothing to prevent you from posting pictures in the forums; it is permission to create a gallery that id delayed for new members.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

#6 xnorfolkcityblue

xnorfolkcityblue

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Oh ! Thanks Auspex. I guess I Misunderstood. I will get them together and upload them incase anyone would like to c them............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users