Child's Fossiling Pack And Fossil Jewelry

Bev

post-9628-0-26528200-1356322537_thumb.jpg

I put this little fossil pack together for my 5 year old granddaughter. The pack itself came from Goodwill.

I added: Magnifying glass and wipe, fossil book, hat, paint brush for brushing off dirt, notebook, survival whistle with $3 "emergency" money. In the fossil book I took sticky notes and put them on the appropriate pages with the specifics of the fossil so that if she takes them to school there is more information: Snail-Maclurite-Ordovician Period-500-450 myo-Galena Formation-Fillmore County, MN-Way older than the dinosaurs!

At this age, lots of little boys are very interested in dinosaurs, so this may give her a boost in the classroom.

Then I added a nice brach hash plate and two necklaces I made out of fossils--wire wrap.

post-9628-0-18696500-1356322830_thumb.jpg

The necklace on the left is a sunflower sponge and one on the right is a maclurite. Copper wire and beads. Costs less than a dollar to wrap them and add a necklace. They are sooo unique! I've made most of my small pieces (horn coral, tiny hash plates, etc.) into jewelry as display pieces. It doesn't hurt the fossil at all. My Mom even asked me for a pull from a small maclurite for her kitchen ceiling fan for Christmas!

The little fairy boy riding the maclurite in the dish is from Michael's hobby shop. A fun use for a fossil.

I also put together a little jewelry making kit for her.

I noticed all the pics of kids going fossiling. I thought this might interest someone.

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Bev.... Thats certainly one way to get your grand daughter interested in fossils... I think I need a fossil pack :(....I can see you both having some great trips collecting fossils together...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Bev,

Crinoid coquina sometimes polishes up nicely. I think it would make pretty jewelry. All you really need is a grinder and some sand paper.

Dale

Great job on the fossiling gear Bev!

And the jewelry is a nice addition. :)

Happy Holidays, and thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

love the Fossil Pack idea, I take my kids out for their first fossil hunt when they are 4 years old and the stuff theyve found is definitely a hit with the other kids in school, the only thing I might add to the pack is one of those aluminum water bottles with the clip on the screw top lid, all 3 of my kids love to clip them to their belts when we go hunting.

Im hard on packs and go through several a year fossil hunting and goodwill is where I go to restock ,cant beat the price :)

Nice job on the fossil pack & the jewelry.

What is more fun than fossil hunting with grandchildren?

Post Christmas update. Her mother wasn't too enthused when she heard my choice of a gift, so I included the 25th anniversary edition of The Last Unicorn, my daughter's all time favorite cartoon. Got a lukewarm reception from Andreya Christmas Eve, but lots of presents and the sugar high, I had no high expections...

Got an email from Mom that the only present Andreya wanted to take to daycare was her fossil hunting pack! After we left, she asked her Mom to show her the animals in the book that the fossils came from and she made a bead bracelet!

Mom thanked me sincerely for a great gift!

They live one county over and have lots of great fossiling sites. Mom is strapped for cash but spends lots of time with her daughter so I'm thinking this is a wonderful, low cost hobby that will encourage scientific learning and bring Andreya positives in the classroom.

Just thought you guys would like to know how it turned out.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

...Just thought you guys would like to know how it turned out.

Thanks for the update, Bev! :) Gramma knows best! ;)

It's a great way to encourage learning, and a nice way for them to spend time together.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Roz and Tim! I have so much fun fossil hunting, it is like share the FUN!

Go to my

Pinned Posts: