Bark From Carboniferous Coal Measures Upper Need Id

ckmerlin

Hi all this is not mine unfortunately :( its from a display at a carboniferous forest site in my local area

it has a museum there it is labeled as unidentified tree bark from carboniferous

thought id ask here I have not had a chance to consult my reference material sorry for being lazy

doing overtime so short of time ( I know poor excuse ) anyway any help appreciated thanks

post-6560-0-85596600-1358954081_thumb.jpg

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

CKMerlin....That bark is very unusual....Mybe you should PM Bruno ( Docdutronic ) to draw his attantion to the thread...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I would reply to this....

It looks like stigmaria (roots) on or in a slab of mudcracks.

Take this with many grains of salt

was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I would reply to this....

It looks like stigmaria (roots) on or in a slab of mudcracks.

Take this with many grains of salt

yes a possibility

CKMerlin....That bark is very unusual....Mybe you should PM Bruno ( Docdutronic ) to draw his attantion to the thread...

Hi Terrydactyll I will do that im interested to find out if I can what plant/tree this comes from

maybe auracaria would be interested in this too

]

thanks

It is of course an interesting specimen. But there are two problems. First, the picture is quite small. It would help to have a closer view at it, or some pics of small regions of the bark. However, I know that's probably impossible since you don't have that specimen at home. Otherwise, I would have already requested some "new pics". It would be very important to see details of the bark.

And what is the size of this specimen?

(I'm absent now for about 4 days and can't follow this thread).

araucaria1959

It is of course an interesting specimen. But there are two problems. First, the picture is quite small. It would help to have a closer view at it, or some pics of small regions of the bark. However, I know that's probably impossible since you don't have that specimen at home. Otherwise, I would have already requested some "new pics". It would be very important to see details of the bark

(I'm absent now for about 4 days and can't follow this thread).

araucaria1959

as always thanks for taking a look at this , im going back up to the site sometime this week Ill endeavor to established size and dimensions etc

thanks also to docdutronc for your pm regarding this much appreciated :)

CKMerlin... Is it a bark?... Have you found out....

Sorry mate , Yes its from the bottom of a tree I had a pm from bruno who explained it to me

sorry mate yes heres what bruno explained in his reply

Hi my friend

increase in trunk circumference produces the separation strips leaf-cushions. This bark comes probably lower regions of the trunk where the bark is marqued by large vertical furrows ,look this reconstruction ,your sample is localized in the first inferior 1/3 of the trunk ....

Best regards

Bruno

CKMerlin.... Splendid... I knew it was different... Sounds good to me I wish I'd found an example of it...

sorry mate yes heres what bruno explained in his reply

Hi my friend

increase in trunk circumference produces the separation strips leaf-cushions. This bark comes probably lower regions of the trunk where the bark is marqued by large vertical furrows ,look this reconstruction ,your sample is localized in the first inferior 1/3 of the trunk ....

Best regards

Bruno

Here is a personnal reconstruction

post-967-0-77646600-1359149959_thumb.jpg

Best regards

Bruno

Bruno.... Thanks for the reconstruction.... It helps understand the bark structure... Its not one I have come across before....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all this is not mine unfortunately :( its from a display at a carboniferous forest site in my local area

it has a museum there it is labeled as unidentified tree bark from carboniferous

thought id ask here I have not had a chance to consult my reference material sorry for being lazy

doing overtime so short of time ( I know poor excuse ) anyway any help appreciated thanks

I have such kind of puzzle as well!

post-814-0-42900300-1361089881_thumb.jpgpost-814-0-99207300-1361089886_thumb.jpg

I agree with Bruno it might be basal part of the stem, main question why the leaf cushions are so small at the bottom of the trunk?...