• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Park

Sam Park

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

Ft. Worth area - Find Lake Worth west of city look for the dam . The park that overlooks the dam (also known as Inspiration Point) has a cliff that also overlooks the dam -- it has a steep bank but you don't need ropes. From the parking lot all the way down to the dam, gullies, paths, and washes, all are littered or stuffed with Cretaceous fossils. The large AMMONITES are the big draw. Going down further, heart urchins, Hemiaster whitei, are abundant in the white chalk.. There are easy pickings all the way down (the formation is 114 feet thick at this point) and once you reach the dam the oysters (Devils Toes are in layers 3 feet thick) are abundant.
The yellow limestone surrounding Lake Benbrook, contains nice ammonites.
College Station - There is a lot of top quality fossilized wood around College Station.
Austin City Park Road, off of Ranch Road 2222, just west of Loop 360, and the parking lot behind the Toys R Us on Loop 360, just north of Ben White Blvd. expose fossiliferous limestones and shales.
Almost all of the Cretaceous strata in the San Antonio area is loaded with fossils. If you can get your hands on a geological map, try the Upper Cretaceous Austin Chalk (bright white-to-tan chalk, hard to miss) and the Lower Cretaceous Glen Rose Fm.(look for stair-step topography in the hills to the west). Also, check the roadcuts along Hwy 281 from San Antonio Johnson City.
Heading into Bryan, from the southwest on State Route 21 you will cross over the Brazos River and the Little Brazos River. The banks are abundantly fossiliferous with Eocene marine fossils including gastropods, shark teeth, bivalves and such. I recommend the north side of the Brazos. Just park by the bridge and walk down one of the cement sluces to the river bank. Then walk under the railroad bridge and begin looking in the darker (green-black) shales. The teeth are hard to spot because they are the same color as the shale. This is the Stone City Fm. just below the tan Mt. Cook Fm.
Near Bend -- The Pennsylvanian, Smithwick Formation shales produce a fair number of cephalopods, ammonites and nicely detailed trilobites. This site is for the more dedicated collector as finding good specimens requires using a rock hammer and chisels to split the shale layers. Go west out of Lampasas on Route 580 to Bend. Cross the Colorado river into Bend, make a right and go approx.1/2 mile until you see the white ME ranch fence on the left. The site is across the street down a short unobstructed rocky drive to the river (about 100 meters). The black shale weathers to tan and is easy to spot. Look for the easiest areas near the river bank.

#2 mommabetts

mommabetts

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for posting.

#3 jeepinthemud

jeepinthemud

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

I know there are some quarries near Corpus Christi... but im not exactly sure of the names...

Another I know of...

Harbor Island, Corpus Christi: From Port Aransas, take the ferry across, then just out of the ferry port, there will be a fenced in building to the left, just past it is a path to the beach. Drive down it, following the fence on your left.... After a while, it starts getting off-roady (A truck or a jeep will do fine, smaller cars might need to find a way around...) then the path will raise above everything else, then a sudden path drops off to the left- take the sudden drop off path. follow that around either to left or right, and work your way to the water. Both offer slightly different things... To the left (on a hill) I find loads of gypsum crystals and some fossilized burrows... and to the right i can find burrows, gypsum, fossil coral, lots of coquina.... just watch out for the mudballs! their sticky! .... And whenever a barge passes by, go to higher ground..... the water comes RUSHING back higher onto the sand. (and dont park on the sand... park in the grass)

(supposedly you can find fossilized teeth, but I've not been so lucky.)

A huge new selection everytime a big storm comes through... it changes up the shoreline a bit, shuffling the rocks around!

(If anyone is in the Corpus Christi area and wants to visit Harbor Island, send me a PM and maybe we could get together to go!
  • Lynn63 finds this informative
"To do is to be." -Socrates
"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule
"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

#4 Stacey

Stacey

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

I'm going to try for the Austin City Park Road trip next time we go to Austin. Maybe by then the heat won't be at flash fry and I'll be able to hunt without spontaneously combusting. :P

#5 jeepinthemud

jeepinthemud

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Let us all know how it goes!

#6 Cameron

Cameron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

[quote name='jeepinthemud' date='Jun 24 2009, 12:50 PM' post='82063']
I know there are some quarries near Corpus Christi... but im not exactly sure of the names...

Another I know of...
... I find loads of gypsum crystals and some fossilized burrows...

Jeepinthemud: What type of Gypsum crystals are you finding on Harbor Island?

I just getting back into rock and fossil collecting that I enjoyed as a youth, MANY years ago. Looking for places to collect that would be a day trip or a weekend trip from Baytown, Texas.

Last Sunday, We headed up to Livingston and visited Johnson Rock Shop in Indian Springs (15 miles east of Livingston). Then We went to west of Livingston, through Onalaska and through Carlise and hunted a little on Barrett's Landing (was Barrett's Camp) road. Found some agate and jasper and two small pieces of fossil wood. johnson Rock Shop was worth the trip, the findings at Barret's was a little disappointing. But then it was in the middle of the afternoon and very hot in the middle of July.

Cameron

#7 jeepinthemud

jeepinthemud

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

Hey, Cameron, Nice name. (Mine, too)

I didnt know there was a rock shop that close to Livingston... Ive got a house up there I will have to check out.

I cant get a photo of the crystals right now, and I will be out-of-state for the next week... so once I am back I will get you some images of the crystals. Hope you can wait!

#8 MikeD

MikeD

Member of the Month 04/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts

Awards

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hey, Cameron, Nice name. (Mine, too)

I didnt know there was a rock shop that close to Livingston... Ive got a house up there I will have to check out.

I cant get a photo of the crystals right now, and I will be out-of-state for the next week... so once I am back I will get you some images of the crystals. Hope you can wait!

Johnson's is off the beaten path, but well worth the trip. Take a camera.

#9 jeepinthemud

jeepinthemud

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

i will certainly remember that! I will probably go next week. haha.

#10 Seldom

Seldom

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Johnsons Rock Shop have not been there in years is it still way back in Indain Springs. Last time I was there Mr Johnson had pass and Mrs Johnson was tring to run it herself. Whos running it now.
Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?
Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

#11 MikeD

MikeD

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts

Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Johnsons Rock Shop have not been there in years is it still way back in Indain Springs. Last time I was there Mr Johnson had pass and Mrs Johnson was tring to run it herself. Whos running it now.

There was an elderly Mr. Johnson there earlier this year. A nice guy.

#12 Cameron

Cameron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

JOhnson Rock Shop is still way back in Indian Springs. To get there is simple enough- take Hwy 90 east out of Livingston about 10 miles is Indian Spring- one one road to the right. There are no signs that we saw off hwy 90, but once you turn right into Indian Springs, watch the telephone poles! Little white signs with black print about 7-10' off the ground that say "ROCK SHOP" and an arrow. I'd guess we made about 8-10 turns following the signs and had no trouble getting there.

Otis Johnson is still alive and kicking. I talked with him twice for about 30 min. each time. He loves to talk about his music.

I loved his home made industrial rock tumbler.... I'm working on building one of my own.

Cameron

#13 Seldom

Seldom

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Yea I am wrong don't know how I got the idea Mr Johnson had passed. Talk to a friend who lives in Indain Springs last week he told me everyone was alive and well. Think I might head up there Sunday.
Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?
Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

#14 MikeD

MikeD

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts

Awards

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

He gave me the grand tour. He had just reopened after being closed for a while (hurricane Ike damage, vacation - can't remember). Just pay attention how you got in there because it's a bear backtracking out of there.

#15 tracer

tracer

Member of the Month 02/09

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,639 posts

Awards

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

a very interesting place and an interesting man. visiting is a singularly unique experience.
Posted Image

#16 Cameron

Cameron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Yea I am wrong don't know how I got the idea Mr Johnson had passed. Talk to a friend who lives in Indain Springs last week he told me everyone was alive and well. Think I might head up there Sunday.

Darn, wish I'd seen this earlier.... we are about to head out in that direction this morning. It would be great to meet some of the other members here and johnson's would be a good opertunity.

We've scoped out a couple places along the Trinity river below Lake Livingston. With all the rain and the high waters the Trinity had flowing Friday and Saturday, then lower this morning- we're hoping for some good picking.

Cameron

#17 jeepinthemud

jeepinthemud

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

We've scoped out a couple places along the Trinity river below Lake Livingston. With all the rain and the high waters the Trinity had flowing Friday and Saturday, then lower this morning- we're hoping for some good picking.

Cameron

what can be found there? Pet. wood?

#18 Cameron

Cameron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

what can be found there? Pet. wood?

most of what we are finding is Petrified Wood... little bit of agates and a fare amount of jasper. We had much better luck with the pet. wood this weekend then last. Last weekend we went to a place that was listed in "Gem trails of Texas".... but I think I've figured out that road cut is pretty well picked through. We don't have the book, found a few referances to it, and a website that had a GPS location. This past Weekend we went to some placed I "spied" from the air using Bing maps in the "birds Eye" view. Birds Eye is a lot closer view then a satalite view and from an angle... you can swing around an area and look at it from differant angles. I saw some sandy beaches and small cliffs and used the view to find roads that led to the area.

One place that was on our iop picks, when we got down the road to get there, was posted with signs " oil field workers ONLY" - " NO Tresspassing" and a fair number of trucks coming and going, so we didn't venture in but found a fair amount of pet. wood and agates right outside the kind of gate and signs.

I think we're going to head down to Galveston this coming weekend. Been there lots of times and finding Sharks teeth is hit and miss, usually have gone to Jamacia Beach, but thinking about trying Pelican Island. I've not been to Pelican Island. Aerial view looks like people do a lot of 4 wheeling there.

During the hot summer, we're looking for places to day trip to. When the weather is cooler, we'll start doing some weekend overnight trips.

Cameron

#19 KDF-TX

KDF-TX

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

I make it a point to visit Otis and Margie Johnson at least once every couple months. I'm just over an hour from their rockshop. Great people!
Mr. Johnson has been working to get "written permission" to get on some land (even though it's not really private property) for a petrified wood hunt. We'll organize the trip through our club in Huntsville (www.pwgms.org), but open to anyone joining us (although there may be a limit).
This spring or any good weathered weekend I'll be out in the creeks around Trinity, Groveton, Crockett. Give me a hollar!
Kevin

#20 Magictom

Magictom

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

If you are looking for Shark Teeth, you should check out Post Oak Creek in Sherman, TX..
Just off Center Street. and hwy 75. There are millions down there.
I have collected over 20,000 or so in the last 15 years, and every time it rains you get a whole new selection.
Its amazing when you can sit in one spot and find over 40 teeth in a 2' x 2' area.
Happy Hunting!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users