Jump to content

Adventures with a Paddle

  • entries
  • comments
  • views



April 3, 2010


Adrenalin pumped through me like it usually does on the way to a new location. While on the road, I enjoyed ‘working out’ the geology I traveled over. The sunny spring morning framed the entire outdoors in vivid color, and from the corner of my eye, I noticed some fresh excavation in the distance. Like many other places, I made a mental note of it and continued to my destination. Dozens of miles and minutes later, my friend, Bob, and I had pulled our gear together and loaded things into the boat. We waded through the spring bloom and poison ivy and began a journey we would not soon forget.
blogentry-420-036119900 1278133843.jpg
Golden groundsel & Texas bluebonnets
blogentry-420-077614600 1278133926.jpgblogentry-420-063230900 1278133965.jpgblogentry-420-092035400 1278133982.jpg
I wanted to learn more about one of my favorite geologic outcrops on this trip, the Lower Cretaceous Washita Group. Its formations have fascinated me with the remains of creatures of incredible variety and beauty. From the monster-sized Eopachydiscus ammonites to the simple, elegant form of Kingena wacoensis brachiopods, the North Texas strata have enchanted fossil hunters for years. According to some of the latest research, the lowest in the group, the Kiamichi Formation, is supposed to be around 103.5 million years old. It is followed by the more well known Duck Creek Formation at near 102 million years old. The Fort Worth, Denton, Weno, and Pawpaw Formations are found in the middle of the group. Above these, the Main Street Limestone (about 97 million years old) is overlain by the Grayson Marl. The Washita Group is finally capped at close to 96 million years old by the Buda Formation. Our trip started near the ‘bottom’; just where was our next challenge.


One of our first clues came in the water when the partial whorl of a Mortoniceras ammonite laid in contrast to the bottom gravel. My interest was further piqued by a second ammonite wedged beneath a few rocks on the next gravel bar. Other fossils in combination with these ammonites and a bank bluff of alternately receding layers of marl and hard stone suggested we were in the Fort Worth Formation.


Partial Mortoniceras ammonite fragment
blogentry-420-022201100 1278134149.jpg
Mortoniceras sp. ammonite
blogentry-420-078134400 1278134256.jpgblogentry-420-001782700 1278134288.jpg
Of course, we kept in mind that the gravel bars contained the reworked fossils of any formations found upstream. But before long, Bob found a large Mortoniceras ammonite eroding from the silt covered formation.


Mortoniceras sp. ammonite
blogentry-420-021689400 1278134394.jpg
As we moved along the stream, it became apparent that no one had collected there in a long time. Large Macraster echinoids and additional ammonites were scattered periodically in the gravels. It was amazing to see so many. Bob found two other large ammonites hiding in the gravel. We picked up a few more fossils along the way, but most looked their best where they laid...capturing a moment of potential Cretaceous perfection.


Larger Mortoniceras sp. ammonites found by Bob
blogentry-420-057909600 1278134559.jpgblogentry-420-041313800 1278134586.jpg
Macraster obesus fossil sea urchins
blogentry-420-086653700 1278134666.jpgblogentry-420-015008800 1278134706.jpgblogentry-420-073047500 1278134745.jpg
Keeping us company in water were other creatures, too. A shy red-eared turtle and a well-fed diamond backed water snake added to the adventure. But it was a close encounter with several spawning longnose gar that kept the adrenalin flowing.


Diamond backed Water Snake
blogentry-420-080044400 1278134842.jpg
Red-eared Turtle
blogentry-420-086224900 1278134906.jpg
Spawning Longnose Gar
blogentry-420-083714900 1278135046.jpg


Bob’s haul and my finds
blogentry-420-001143900 1278136029.jpgblogentry-420-077726800 1278136327.jpg
About mid-afternoon, we had a nice load of fossils in the boat, so we headed for the take-out. On the way, I contemplated a few options to round out the day. Then I remembered the fresh excavation on the morning drive. So we loaded up and headed that way.


Upon arrival, I realized the site was not as large as it appeared earlier in the day. A utility easement near the road had been reshaped by a bulldozer. In the course of their work, they had cleared a large ditch and exposed the local geology. We thought we would give it a quick look to see what formations were present. Bob walked slightly ahead of me as we descended into the shallow water. Sticky yellow clay and a few Ilymatogyra arietina oysters stuck to my shoes. Then, I froze.


“No way...you’ve got to be kidding,” I uttered. Bob turned and responded, “What?” I looked up at him from where I had dropped to my heels, “I’m about 90% sure this is ivory…mammoth ivory! It’s part of a tusk!” My heart pounded as I looked just below the water at its fragmented surface. Silt covered most of the concentric layers, but I recognized the fragmentation pattern from previous tusk finds. We pulled out our cameras and began the preliminary documentation.


Initial exposure
blogentry-420-081593400 1278136734.jpg
It was late afternoon, and I did not know the size of the find. But another problem was more obvious; the shallow water clouded with the touch of a finger. The clay appeared to be reworked Grayson marl (Del Rio Clay), so it would not be hard to excavate. However, the Pleistocene gravels scattered within it would make any digging awkward. After sizing up our options, we decided to get creative with the water to maintain visibility. Bob generously labored to keep clear water flowing across the area I slowly excavated with my knife and rock hammer. Working in the silty water was slow and frustrating. There were moments I just used my hands to ease away the gravel and clay. I thought I could expose the end of the tusk in a short time; but as the sun descended lower on the horizon, the realization that I might not, began to sink in.


blogentry-420-062137900 1278136931.jpg


Late in the day, we took our final series of photos. The long shadows and tired muscles signaled the moment to make some tough decisions. There were about three feet of tusk exposed and it was all underwater. It was extremely fragile. To try to remove it would have destroyed it. So, I made the decision to carefully cover it up. Although it was a difficult choice, given the circumstances, I thought it was the right one. To excavate it properly would require drier times or a small coffer dam, plaster, reinforcement, and more tools. Even if it was removed under the best conditions, the final preparation would be a huge challenge. It was time to call in ‘the troops'.


Cloudy water was a constant problem
blogentry-420-024420300 1278137088.jpg
Roots penetrated one end of the tusk
blogentry-420-009455500 1278137457.jpgblogentry-420-006000000 1278137571.jpg
Angling downward into the clay and gravel
blogentry-420-026643100 1278137664.jpg
Bob and I discussed tentative plans to find someone to lead a future excavation. Then, I graciously thanked him for his efforts and, with a handshake on a day well spent, we parted company. During the long drive home, I called a couple of friends for assistance with the new ‘tusk project’ and gathered more leads to follow up. What a memorable day! I called my wife and told her we got a little sidetracked on the way home...when she heard ‘why’ she said, “You’ve got to be kidding!”


June 2010 Postscript:
At the end of April, after speaking and corresponding with several universities and groups, I was finally able to find an organization to take on the ‘tusk project’. They have contacts within the paleontology department of a local university and they hope to use the dig as a training opportunity. The question on everyone’s mind: Are there bones associated with the tusk? Organizing a university dig takes a little time. Nevertheless, this story will have another chapter in the future.

  • I found this Informative 1


Recommended Comments

Awesome blog post for an even awesomer trip! The coolest part of this tusk find was that it almost didn't happen. Stopping by that area was really just an afterthought of John's--we'd already had a hugely enjoyable (and productive) day. John just sort of turned to me as we were packing up our stuff and said "hey, you mind checking out another spot on the way back?" As if he needed to ask! When we arrived, the site looked anything but promising. The next thing I know, John has sniffed out a giant mammoth tusk! I will never forget hearing "No way..."

Link to comment


Awesome report, it was a pleasure reading it. Hey, I've heard that "No Way" comment before :D

Link to comment

Well I must say, I like how you get sidetracked!:D

You are beginning to be a mammoth magnet! :P

Just fantastic, John!

I really enjoyed your adventure with Bob...

Link to comment


I'll get that thing out I'll bring my dam and my water pump along with some plaster who is with me lol! That is jut awesome I have had some finds that I had to leave for the same problems. Water was to high and the fossils were much to fragile. In all I have had to let a few dolphin skulls, one seal skull, some big bones and a partial whale skeleton go but sometimes it's for the better.

Link to comment

Dude, I have been waiting for these pics. I'm glad you finally found someone that was able to help.

Link to comment

Great post and finds. Too bad about the tusk falling apart, I hope you are able to get it out this summer.

Link to comment

Barry--I've learned the hard way that when I hear John say "No way," I just shove him outta the way and claim the fossil as my own! I'll go to my grave swearing I discovered that tusk! Okay. That was a lie. But I did find some fossil oysters, which are highly prized in Central Texas due to their extreme rarity.

Link to comment

Bob - What a trip! It was a lot of fun. I also found some oysters in the mud attached to my shoes...you can have them. :P

Barry - Yes, you have heard me say something similar...but that's another story. ;)

MikeD - Thanks for your remote assistance that day. ;)

Roz, Dave, Steven - Thank you for your comments; I appreciate it. :)

Link to comment


Wow!!! Outstanding! :D Congratulations on the great finds! :D And that was an awesome trip report!

Link to comment

Wow!!! Outstanding! :D Congratulations on the great finds! :D And that was an awesome trip report!

Thanks, Riley. I'm glad it made you smile. ;)

Link to comment


Great trip and report. I love reading about your adventures. You seem to have the magic eye for mammoth material.

Link to comment

Thanks, Tera. If all goes well, then the next chapter of this story will take place in a few weeks. ;)

Link to comment
  • Create New...