Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'american amber'.
Found 2 results
As of 5/5/16, this large specimen of Late Cretaceous Amber Resin has received a new home in the McClung Museum at the University Of Tennessee (Knoxville). It is from my collection of West Tennessee Amber and is Campanian. This was my 4th-5th largest specimen from my collection.
Today i have decided on an open policy regarding the Amber which is to be found here in Tennessee. I don't mean i'm about to just outright say where it's at, but intend on sharing with the world a report on what it is associated with, and a general area it is to be found. The motive behind this report is to publicly establish several special features about the outcrops i've discovered this Amber in. 1) That the Tennessee Amber site (s) are no doubt Lagerstatte quality 2) that the site (s) have a tremendous amount of associated botanicals just not found at other American sites as concentrated. 3) That the concentrations of Amber here are more than at other American sites. And 4) that this site (s) deserve to be appreciated and studied for what they are. A thought has ran through my mind today as i happened to glance over at a nice sample of material here in the corner of my house collecting dust. That sample was collected 7months and 1 day ago today. I have decided to use it as the basis of this small report. I have prepared an experiment to show step by step from opening up and revisiting this neglected stuff, to it's end and present what is there. This will take a few days to complete, so todays posts will be added to as progress is made. Within a week, i should be posting an end to this topic. Hope you all enjoy. Now lets start with the sample. It was wrapped up in plastic wrap after collection on Oct.19th, 2013. After a few wraps, i placed the paper in it and finished covering the specimen up. It's weight that day on my fruit scales was 8.25 pounds. Today i pulled it out and weighed again....8.25 pounds. (I love that plastic wrap, you won't catch me hunting without a roll on me somewhere.) For todays objective, i weighed it again, opened it up, and gently broke apart the matrix (very small lignitic debris). As this was going on i photographed some of the Amber insitu, to show exactly what i'm dealing with here. Tried my best not to look for Amber,cause i knew i'd be there all day picking it out if i ever started. What seemed more important today was not to destroy any lignitic objects which might be valuable in aiding to identify the source (there may or may not be some in there that could do that.) But i do already have good botanics with Amber in the stems, ect. I even have specimens from other locations of leaves connected to stems,and Amber in those!!!! So here we go, let's start the pictures up....