Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'sandpaper'.
Found 1 result
I had to listen to a couple lectures for a school assignment which ended up totaling over 2 hours of straight listening. I cannot just sit and do nothing while I listen so I decided to do a little fossil prep. I have had this piece of what is commonly called "chunkosaurus". Chunkosaurus is a chunk of dinosaur bone that has no defining features and many times doesn't have a location attached to said specimen for us to assign it to a species or genus and so is almost practically useless to scientific endeavors. But I saw a future for this little piece so I downloaded my lectures into my phone and grabbed my stack of various sandpaper grits. I started with the opposite side looking like this. First up was some 380 grit paper to get rid of the obvious saw marks the seller I bought it from had left. Here is right after I got done with the 380 paper. Most of the saw marks except for the absolute deepest ones were gone and a little shine was showing up. I then moved onto a intermediate grit around 500 I can't tell for sure as it was old and faded on the back but I could tell the approximate grit from feeling it. This paper promptly fell apart but I got the results out of it I wanted. I then moved up to a 1200 grit then 1500 and finally 2000. I forgot to take pictures as I was getting excited to see it start to gain a mirror finish. My lectures had drawn to a close so here is my final product. Please forgive my photography, my camera is acting wonky.