Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'stacking with picolay'.
Found 1 result
A few of the pieces of fossil matrix I received from Bob O'Donnell required some cleanup. I tried scrubbing with a toothbrush and soap and water to no avail. The only safe cleaning agent I had on hand was CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust). I know a lot of the matrix and fossils may consist of Calcium Carbonate and was ready for the reaction. I left the matrix in the CLR solution for about one minute then scrubbed them with soap and water. Prior to the CLR bath the matrix was quite dirty, dark and dull. After the etching the matrix was quite clean, dark and dull until I put it under the microscope. The microscope revealed some sculpted areas and surprising colours. The colours and shapes revealed in one matrix piece are the subject of this post. The matrix piece is 55mm x 40mm x 30mm. I photographed only one corner and that required four sections of 10 photos each stacked with Picolay. The four stacked sections were then stitched with Microsoft's ICE. I know I should not have used CLR, but what is life without surprises. Microscope: Zeiss Stemi 305, 2x photo eyepiece, .8x objective. Camera: Canon 1000D, Composite of the four stacked sections. Top Left Top right Bottom right Bottom left