My best Fossil so far

Longshanks

Here is the best from my collection which is growing by the day!

I bought the Nautilus from a friend for all of ?20, I will find the 'before' picture to show you what it was like then.

post-1-1190488501_thumb.jpg

Longshanks - Fiona

We have many fossils here on the moors, yet I didn't know that until recently!

Picture 1) Anchient Carvings

Picture 2) My grandson's Deacon & Ethan ready with hammers lol

Picture 3) The shale beds of Baildon Moor

Picture 4) Baildon crushed Ammonites

post-1-1190489043_thumb.jpg

post-1-1190489053_thumb.jpg

post-1-1190489063_thumb.jpg

post-1-1190489075_thumb.jpg

Longshanks - Fiona

Fiona  ,

Beautiful Nautilus! Great collection of Ammonites. Can I assume the carving is Celtic? If so, are you allowed to keep it? Some countries antiquities laws are rather strict & you have to turn them over to "Big Brother". Also. are there any reference literature on the interpretation of the picture graphs? Very nice!

Mike :D

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments!

Mike, the carving I wasn't allowed to take away as it actually belonged to the museum and is the only thing that isn't mine lol, I loaded it and meant to say that it was another fossil (so to speak), of what was found and can be found up on the moors.

As far as I know if we find them we can keep them but I'm not exactly sure about that and would have to make enquiries on it. The next time I go to the moors I will do that and let you know. I do know that other items have been found and have been taken home or given to the museum!

Sorry for misleading you, it was a mistake on my part and I should have explained about the picture. But the rest of the fossils I DO own.

Cheers Fiona

Longshanks - Fiona

Wow, the Nautilus is beautiful. So is just about everything else pictured.. That table with all the stuff on it looks like a greeeeat display.

• 5 weeks later...

Fiona . . .

That's a gorgeous nautilus! I pumped up the brightness and contrast of your image to see it better. This is what I got. I hope you don't mind my re-posting it.

What are we seeing here in the Baildon fossils -- is it just a shell-hash?

I really like to look at the wide variety of cephalopod fossils which are found in the UK and on the Continent. We just don't have the numbers and variety available here in the USA. Here is a US example of which I'm fond.

------Harry Pristis

post-1-1190489225_thumb.jpg

post-1-1190489236_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Harry

Yes it is a stunning nautilus and I'm very proud to have it in my collection, it was much bigger only Mike Marshall who prepped it for me used a large chunk of it as its own stand, brill idea and what a good job he did too.

The Baildon fossils are actually squashed ammonites, I'll dig out their name and let you know a.s.a.p. I have to admit that your picture along side mine is stunning too!

Fossils are great

TTFN Fiona

Longshanks - Fiona