Michigan fossils

Bob Saunders

I like the title: "These prehistoric sea scorpions might rival the Petoskey stone for Michigan’s coolest fossil".

Might? Yep, I'd say so! :) Eurypterids are still on my bucket list (and likely will be for some time as they are not going to be found anywhere near South Florida). My wife and I travel back to the Chicagoland area with frequency. In fact, we'll be up there soon for the holiday that strikes terror into the hearts of turkeys :wacko: (though, as vegetarians, the cranberries, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower have more to fear). Thought about making a roadtrip further north to hunt for Petoskey Stones (easier to cross off my list than a eurypterid) but timing is not optimal. Not only is the north having a bit of an Arctic blast at the moment but it appears that spring is the more productive season to hunt for the geometrically pleasing Devonian corals. Apparently, winter storms and the shore ice tend to bring out more Petoskey Stones and hunting for them before the summer tourist season may increase our odds.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Any members with any "secret" tips to improve our odds of finding some nice Petoskey Stones next spring are more than welcome to PM me with details. ;)