Tristate Trilobite Hunt

Calico Jack

Hi all,

This week I'm heading to the tristate area (Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky) for a trilobite hunting trip. It's unusual for me insofar as it's being run by my university. Usually I do my own recon, but since I don't really know where I'll be going (I assume we'll be visiting fairly well known localities), I was wondering if ya'll could help me out. I'm trying to figure which sites are famous in the area, and which layers to look in at those sites etc. I'd appreciate any info or advice! I'll be sure to return the favor by posting a full trip report when I get back.

• I found this Informative 1

I had just looked for a possible trip. Oakes Quarry Park. Fairburn, Ohio. Trammel Fossil Park. Sharonville, Ohio. Heston Woods State Park. S.W. part of Ohio. Fossil park. Sylvania, Ohio. Which is near Toledo. And a fossil area north of Louisville, Ky. in Indiana on the Ohio River.  You wrote in one week. My son live near Nashville, Tenn. and got snow this week. I suggest bringing layers of easy to remove clothes  as you build up heat and probably get wet. Hope this helps as I have not been any of these. 

1 hour ago, Bob Saunders said:

Heston Woods State Park

Probably means Hueston Woods State Park.

Mike

8 hours ago, Calico Jack said:

sorry, I thought the tag would be more visible, Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky

Tags are more for helping with searching for specific topics. 

It is best to include all pertinent location information in the body of the initial post. ;) 

Those tags are quite easily overlooked.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You need to find out what actual sites you will visit. A “tristate” trip probably means the Upper Ordovician Cincinnatian Series. Trilobites are found throughout but there are some layers that feature better bugs. For example at the Rt 1 St Leon road cut in Indiana the Liberty Formation features a layer rich with Flexicalymene and Isotelus rollers. At Trammel Fossil Park in Sharonville, Ohio the Corryville can be productive or at Caesar Creek Spillway it’s the Waynesville Formation. In Kentucky it would also be those formations plus the Kope Formation for older bugs like Cryptolithus or Triarthus.  See if you can get some more specific info and maybe we can dial you in better.