What Fossil is this?

White Feather

This is a rock I picked up on a rock hunt in Mississippi I think on the Big Black River Hunt while with MS Gem & Mineral Club. Thank you to Mark that helped me post better!

rock 1.jpg

rock 2.jpg

rock 3.jpg

rock 4.jpg

1 hour ago, White Feather said:

ok..sorry . . . I have lots to learn.

Dear White Feather,

Indeed there is nothing to be sorry about!  Everyone on this forum has lots to learn, regardless of what point along the learning curve we find ourselves at the present.

Think of this.  There are people behind you on the learning curve that you just helped learn something new by your question.  There are people ahead of you on the learning curve that have been here to help bring you along.  Thus we all raise one another by our sharing.  Please keep sharing your knowledge and your unfamiliarity for both benefit all of us on TFF.  

Thank you for your contributions.

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you so much for this word of encouragement and understanding I do have some fossils and I will get some pictures to share I shared this site with the Lakeland bone Valley fossil Club she sent it out to all members

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Nothing to be sorry about.  We are all learning, all the time, or at least we should be.

Don

Learning that we are wrong about things like this would not be a first in the field either. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, White Feather said:

I shared this site with the Lakeland bone Valley fossil Club

Thank YOU.  And thanks for sharing the site.  The more the number of members, the stronger the membership, the more we all can learn from each other. 

Ditto what everybody above has said. I showed one of my first fossil finds (a shelll) to a fellow fossil hunter at the beach. As I listened to him talking about bivalves, in my mind I was wondering, "why is he talking about plumbing?"  That happened last spring. I've since learned that "valves" don't necessarily refer to faucet parts. :) 

Question to the experienced members here: If White Feather's find is a concretion, might there not be a fossil hidden within?

Maybe worth cracking the concretion to find out?

• I found this Informative 3

6 minutes ago, Pippa said:

Ditto what everybody above has said. I showed one of my first fossil finds (a shelll) to a fellow fossil hunter at th beach. As I listened to him talking about bivalves, in my mind I was wondering, "why is he talking about plumbing?"  That happened last spring. I've since learned that "valves" don't necessarily refer to faucet parts. :) 

Question to the experienced members here: If White Feather's find is a concretion, might there not be a fossil hidden within?

Maybe worth cracking the concretion to find out?

Ha de ha. 

Concretions do sometimes contain fossils, though I wouldn't count on it. 

Only one way to find out if White Feather doesn't mind wrecking her rather interesting find. 

Bash it. :hammer01:

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 months later...

went back to read the posts on this. I think I will :hammer01: and then take pictures and we can see what the inside holds. You all are great and I am glad I took the time to go back and re read answers. Thank you all!!

Deb

Edited by White Feather
added name