Jaw mammal

NuHu

I do not know the identity of your mandible.

However, I was out hunting (Florida) this week and found a modern mandible that has similarities but is only 7 cm. I will be very interested in the identification of your jaw.    I had thought that mine is likely Didelphis virginiana (Opossum).

SmPredatorMandible.JPG.3c4673bb6672afdd671d2875be48803d.JPGSmPredatorMandible2.JPG.9d9ce4226a1060ef37563e36ffead077.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I agree with harry.  Domestic dogs are very variable so maybe the spacing is breed specific... just a thought.  

Shellseeker, the back end of the jaw has what could be called three 'prongs'.  Does the bottom one make a horizontal shelf?  If so then it is opposum.  That feature is very marsupialy.  It looks like it is that way on your first photo.

6 hours ago, jpc said:

Shellseeker, the back end of the jaw has what could be called three 'prongs'.  Does the bottom one make a horizontal shelf?  If so then it is opposum.  That feature is very marsupialy.  It looks like it is that way on your first photo.

Jpc, Initially missed this question..

I stare at the bottom prong, and think maybe... maybe not..

but as @Harry Pristis says: its the alveolae that count or , in this case, do not match, not dog or opossum. Alveolae say 'raccoon'.  

Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"