Learned something.

jnicholes

Hello everyone!

So, a bit of a long story. I have a habit of looking at my fossils under a magnifier. Today, I was looking at a knightia fossil and I decided to theorize a little bit about it after looking at it. After looking at it for a little bit, I told myself that it looks like a sardine.

After I did that, I went on the internet to take a look at the family of knightia as well as a family of herrings and sardines. to my surprise, my theory was correct. Knightia and herrings and sardines share the family clupeidae. You learn something new everyday!

Jared

• I found this Informative 10

Yes, it's always nice to learn something new. 

On a similar note, today I learned that the brachiopod Hebertella belongs to the same family as Plectorthis. :)

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Orange flag with a white heart, I think. 

It means your post is 'liked', has more than a certain number of informative post hits (5?) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That's awesome! I didn't expect it to receive this many likes! Thank you for pointing that out.

I got some more things I learned. Concerning a fossil called a Mioplosus.  Apparently, they share the same family as modern walleye and perch, Percidae. I'm a fisherman, and I've caught many perch. I see the resemblance now!

As for my one foot Phareodus fossil, it is related to the arowana.

Diplomystus also shares the same family as knightia which I mentioned earlier.

I am learning a lot!

• I found this Informative 1

I hope we all are. :)

The regular posters here are often pretty well versed on one group of animals or plants or a particular area or formation but still love to learn from others.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Knightia sounds so much more scientific than sardine, though. Doesn't it?

I learn something new here almost every day. I forget most of it by the next day, but then I learn it again and eventually remember. Such is learning. So much to learn; so little time.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I like this! We all learn something new everyday. I think we should keep it going with one random fossil fact that we learned for the day. Share it with the group. Even if the fact seems basic. There is someone visiting the site, or a new member, who may not know. Everyone, amateur or professional, could contribute!

Similar to our “Fossil du Jour” or  “Latest mailbox score” threads. Except this would be a fossil fact of the day thread.

Or would something like this just be redundant? Maybe I just had too much coffee this morning and got extra excited. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I have to agree. I don't know if there's something like this already, but we should try to keep this going. It will be fun learning from each other!

Something else I just learned. More in other posts. I am beginning to suspect that Knightia was insectivorous. It has very tiny teeth you can only see under a magnifier.

Knightia Teeth

Its interesting what you can find by looking under a magnifier!

Knightia.jpg