Spinosaurus Claw, fake or not?

JavierMS

Greetings, I recently acquired a big spinosaurus claw from a moroccan seller at a fossils and minerals event in Barcelona, Spain, called Expominer. I was quite happy with the purchase until a friend of mine told me that it could be a fake claw carved from a bone, but he is not sure, I have been checking similar spinosaurus claws on catawiki and they are sold as real dinosaur claws... What do you think? Thank you very much.

20191112_002336.jpg

20191112_001653.jpg

20191112_002059.jpg

My thinking is that this is a composite of several claw pieces or random bones. There are some areas that look correct. But the whole thing looks mostly wrong. The whole surface looks overly muddy and messy. This unruly surface is very typical for composites to try and hide the seams.

The shape also looks wrong and overly long. So yeah, sorry, but it looks pretty bad.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Notice how it looks jointed, particularly along the top edge? That's making me think that this is a composite of several bone pieces that have been filed into the current shape.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you very much for your help, do you think it has some value? As a replica at least? I did not paid much for the claw compared with how much the real ones normally cost (first think that I found strange).

We're not allowed to place values on items under forum rules, but an object is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

It may have some value as a curiosity, I suppose, but I, for one, wouldn't give a euro for it I'm afraid. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The claw is still very impressive, given its size,  as long as its sold for what it is.  I'm sure there are dino collectors that cannot afford a real one would be happy to own it.    Try selling it on an auction site with a reserve it's better than a replica..

I think it still would display nicely and is a good representation of the great size these creature grow to. If don’t decide to keep it at least you know how it should be labelled up for resales. Remember in the future if you’re not sure of a purchase add it to the forum before buying or as I say “try before you buy “ 

all the best Bobby 

I think would make a great teaching tool. Keep it and display it next to a high end claw. The composite claw can be used to teach others what to look for when evaluating spino claw quality. 

Again thank you very much for your help. I was quite diappointed to know that the claw was fake and I hoped to sell it somehow but honestly I don't think I would be able to afford a real claw, so I guess I will keep this one for my fossils collection, it will look nice with a proper stand.

Also, could you tell me please what you think about this claw? I saw it recently on internet and it does not look very different from mine.

6b7c3a9b-7aca-46a3-9ed0-8d94930c50cb.jpg

dc4dec25-faab-4b80-96fe-cb2b7986e02f.jpg

13 minutes ago, JavierMS said:

will keep this one for my fossils collection, it will look nice with a proper stand.

I think it will look great with a proper stand. There are a few posts on the forum about making a handmade stands.