jpc

An Eocene summer

Tidgy's Dad

Wonderful.

It would be such fun hunting in those locations. 

Such a variety of vertebrate life.

Thanks for sharing the adventures, photos and finds. :)

siteseer

Hi JP,

If you can get a shot of your Hyrachyus jaw straight down at the biting surfaces of the teeth, Fossillarry can identify it.

Hyrachyus has been called an early rhino or at least a close relative of early rhinos, or more technically "a basal rhinocerotoid."  I don't know what the consensus is now.  I think Fossillarry would agree with you.

Jess

@fossillarry

sharkdoctor

OMG. This post made my morning. I can't wait to see more! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

That little lizardy jaw just tickled me pink. I am headed out in about an hour to go fossil hunting in the Aquia Formation today. This was a nice warm-up.

Thanks for all of the field photos. What beautiful country! 

WhodamanHD

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!

PaleoNoel

Great fossils! Thanks for sharing!

Nimravis

Great report and finds - I love and miss the Wyoming, Utah, South Dakota, etc., I need to get back out there soon.

Ludwigia

@jpc Thanks very much for sharing your passion with us. You certainly do need a lot of patience to work these layers by the looks of it. And the preparation work seems to be akin to that of a jewelers. You must have the patience of a saint.

Jeffrey P

Fascinating report, great pictures, and very interesting finds. I can appreciate more fully your extensive work in revealing these small, but exquisite specimens. Slowly, life of the Early Eocene is coming to light thanks to your efforts.  Thanks for sharing this with us. 

caterpillar

Nice report JP. I think I'm coming soon!

jcbshark

Beautiful pics and finds :yay-smiley-1:love the tiny croc material and that rhino jaw is stellar 

FossilNerd

Great report! I keep threatening the wife with a road trip out west. Beautiful country and beautiful fossils. Thanks for sharing! :) 

RCFossils

Great Report!

Lots of neat material.

i hope to make it back out your way next Summer.

Shamalama

Those are some really fantastic finds! I'm sure there was quote a bit of searching and digging requied but you've done a good job preserving what you found. The jigsaw puzzle that is that basal rhinolike critter's jaw looks like it took a lot of patience to reassemble.