Micro Unknown From Florida

minnbuckeye

On this dismal pre-winter day, I slipped downstairs and looked at a few handfuls of micro-matrix from Cookie Cutter Creek. Besides a half dozen tiny shark's teeth, I came across this unknown. I am not sure if it is even a fossil. But it is different than anything else I have seen while investigating this interesting matrix. Opinions are welcomed!!!! @digit 

Mike

DSC_0919-001.JPG.67791878195a5f0bfeac2d66c87dd562.JPGDSC_0922-001.JPG.c8a05a998f1003eb88b47637d98e34ef.JPGDSC_0920-001.JPG.e9a7681f99fa16cf4909cb9ed0933176.JPGDSC_0917-001.JPG.5a3ae553fa87ca94fdea7e5869e93b98.JPGDSC_0916-001.JPG.c18f90d40b42a4861746e26175e12679.JPG

Hope I am wrong but it looks like modern contamination - a bit of a beetle exoskeleton 

Mike

There is always a bit of modern contamination found in micro-matrix from this site. Beside the usual glass and plastic bits, I often find insect parts. Quite stunningly detailed and it usually takes a second or two to realize that that are not some new and unusual fossil. My initial thought was some fragment of a fish vertebra but the material looks chitinous and not cartilaginous so I'm probably in the bug camp. I often find interesting triangular shaped pieces that initially looked interesting till I found they were flexible with some pressure from the dental pick that I use like a shepherd's crook to move the micro-matrix around on the plate. These items turned out to be some blackened unopened plant flower buds or something similar. Flexible Fossils. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Are modern insect parts "flexible" to some extent? Even though it is likely not to be a fossil, it has me curious what it belonged to. Any entomologists amongst us that could ID this?

Mike

3 hours ago, digit said:

I often find interesting triangular shaped pieces that initially looked interesting till I found they were flexible with some pressure from the dental pick that I use like a shepherd's crook to move the micro-matrix around on the plate. These items turned out to be some blackened unopened plant flower buds or something similar.

Wow, I can now totally relate to that experience since I have been searching thru some Peace River gravels.  Thanks so much, BTW.:tiphat: