Turtle flipper?

KitKatFl

Found this two days ago on the Caribbean side of Eleuthera Island in the Bahamas. Friend said possibly a sea turtle flipper? Measures 2 1/2” long by 3/4” wide at largest point. Light in weight for its size...brand new to fossil hunting, more familiar w Florida finds. Any help would be appreciated!

5EB4B25B-0F2A-4641-9068-014D683819BC.jpeg

C82B22B1-32D6-4609-9537-2F208422F175.jpeg

0E9566C1-7854-4F5E-859E-7CCA898D0DFB.jpeg

A turtle's flipper would have bones similar to our hands ( but a little different of course! ;) )  Here is a picture of a sea turtles "flipper" bones.

20191117_210914.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

that looks more like a prehistoric artifact than any kind of fossil. Rock type appears volcanic (basalt), but the image is grainy

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I see how you would think this looks like a turtle flipper at first glance. One with skin and muscle intact. Like a flipper from a live specimen today. However, skin and muscle (soft tissue) rarely fossilize.

If it were a fossil turtle flipper, what you are more likely to find is fossilized bones of the flipper. Similar to the ones in @caldigger picture. 

I’m not sure what you have here, but I’m fairly certain it is not a turtle flipper. It is a very unique looking piece!

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thank you all for your input! I too felt that this was more geological in nature since Eleuthera Island has extensive caves, cliffs etc, but my friend urged me to ask about the flipper. The knowledge base of the members here is astounding, and I look forward to (hopefully) posting some more finds and questions. =)

• I found this Informative 1

Possibly a heavily worn fragment of a shell.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!