Unidentified small radiating shape

MohammadAAK

Hello all,

Im new to this forum and new to fossil collecting. I major in biology and come from collecting numismatics for several years. I’ve found something very unique in paleontology, and that is immense age, which drew me to collecting fossils.

The piece below was collected from Jebel Hafeet in Al-Ain, United Arab Emirates (quite high up the mountain). I’ve noticed two odd, radiating shapes (just below the mid-area of the rock). It’s about 10-15 mm in diameter. I’m not an expert in fossils but thought it looks too orderly to be classified as inorganic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mohammed

57262193-801C-4D14-ACB7-A6ECC27DE6DE.jpeg

Edited by Mohammed Kamalboor
  • I found this Informative 1

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

These are very well preserved cross sections of scleractinian corals. Nice!!

I think you can google up geological maps of UAE, then you would be able to put an approximate age to this specimen.

You will find also the formation name on this map. With this formation name, you might be able to google up the fauna of this formation.

Maybe you can find something similar already published in a paper!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 4

Hi Franz,

That was really quick!! And thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Truly appreciated!

I googled the geological map of UAE and it turns out Jebel Hafeet lies in the Maastrichtian age (late Cretaceous). Thank you again!

Mohammed

• I found this Informative 1

This is a published paper useful for anybody finding fossils around Jebel Hafeet:

Cherif, Omar H.; Al-Rifaiy, Ibrahim A.; El-Deeb, Wagdy Z. M. (1992). ""Post-Nappes" Early Tertiary Foraminiferal Paleoecology of the Northern Hafit Area, South of Al-Ain City (United Arab Emirates)". Micropaleontology. 38 (1): 37.

Thank you all for your warm welcome. Browsing the forums reveals how great of a community this forum has. I'm looking forward to learn more reading your posts.

Welcome from Illinois -- nice find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!