Fossilized Coral

White Feather

My Coral: both sides, found many years ago hunting in Florida 

Corals (or more formally, Zoantharia) have mobile larvae that become sessile (fixed to one place) after a few days. They are marine animals related to jelly fish and sea anemones, but lacking a free-swimming (medusoid) stage.

They may have first evolved during the Precambrian and are still found living today. Some, like octocorals (the polyp has eight arms), are soft bodied and rarely preserved as fossils, but others secrete a hard calcarous skeleton and are thus important rock-forming organisms. We focus here on the three groups (or orders) of corals that are most frequently found as fossils — Rugosa, Tabulata and Scleractinia.

fossil coral 1.jpg

fossil coral 2 (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Nice coral.:)

But the Zoantharia is not synonymous with coral, it is an order of corals (i think; anthozoan classification is a twisty-turny thing). I'm surprised this British Geological Society website has this confused, unless it's changed again. But as this website still has Charnia listed as an octocoral, I'm doubtful. I understand that Charnia is now considered to be a rangeomorph or, more recently, possibly a petalonomid, a proposed sister group to the sponges. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Beautiful specimen! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)