Went Hunting n The Fossil Shed Today !!!

RJB

54 minutes ago, Randyw said:

They are all great looking fossils!

31 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Great stuff @RJB! Glad you have been able to recover some of your “lost” treasures! Thanks for sharing with us

Thanks guys.  I almost feel bad to say that I still have 3 more bigger wooden boxes to bring home and go through!    :)

RB

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

Thanks guys.  I almost feel bad to say that I still have 3 more bigger wooden boxes to bring home and go through!    :)

RB

We'll be waiting by our phone/computer screens when you do.

• I found this Informative 2

19 minutes ago, caldigger said:

That’s for sure! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

27 minutes ago, caldigger said:

With bated breath! 
:popcorn:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 11/18/2019 at 2:18 PM, RJB said:

I also thought that all my echinoids were gone too and then I run into this freakin BEAUTY!!!  

DSCN0365.JPG.4310e40e112da7cf7d5ebb10219ed071.JPG

Hi RJB,

That sand dollar looks like the Dendraster you get on the beach somewhere around San Francisco, CA.  I think the rock is a very hard sandstone.  Out in the field you can see that there's a sand dollar in there but the rock neither splits out nor crumbles away to cleanly separate from the fossil.  The lapidary guys learned that you can grind down to the surface of the sand dollar and then polish it to it look like that.  Of course, they don't always turn out that good (usually a chip or two gone or the grinding went a little too far on part of it).  That's nice prep work.

I think there's another site like that farther north but the sand dollars are more brittle and it's more miss than hit than with the SF ones..

Jess

Holy moley! That is the best-preserved tree oyster I have ever seen! They never retain the outer coating like that!

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

On 12/1/2019 at 6:18 PM, siteseer said:

I think there's another site like that farther north but the sand dollars are more brittle and it's more miss than hit than with the SF ones..

Hi Jess, there are several sites in Humboldt County that has these Scuttilaster echinoids.  and yeah, in some very hard rock and one has to be very very careful not to go through the top of the Test!  Very thin material on top.

RB

I parked my truck at a certain spot along the Eel River in Humboldt County and walked way up stream one day.  On the way back, walking on a very large gravel bar, these whale verts were at the exact same level as all the gravel.   These were in a huge rock and I knew it would be an almost impossible chore to try and carry them back to the truck, about 500 or 600 yards. I took out a chisle and mini sledge and placed the chisle in a certain spot to try and break off a big chunk of rock and WA LA!!!  A crack appeared around all three of these verts and all I had to do was pick them up.  These are the nicest whale verts that I ever found in the Scotia area.  Very nicely preserved and replaced with minerals!  No prep necessary.  rock came off so cleanly that is was truly amazing!!!  

DSCN0408.JPG

DSCN0409.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

On 12/3/2019 at 8:00 PM, siteseer said:

Those look like tail vertebrae.  That must've been a big whale.

Yes, tail verts, but back in the day I used to find HUGE stuff that dwarfed these. 

RB

My youngest son was going through one of my bigger totes and ran into this.  My plan 20 years ago was to polish this up but never got around to it.  From Morocco.  My son exspressed much interest in this so he doesn't know it but he's getting it for xmas.

RB

DSCN0439.JPG

DSCN0440.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 2:38 PM, RJB said:

I finally got around to opening up some homemade wooden crates that held a bunch of my fossil fish stuff back when we moved from California to Montana.  Haven't seen this stuff for 15 years!  

My son pulled this out of one of the boxes.   Looks like a hunk of cow poop with the tail end not done and glue running down the top side but with a small bit of work and some rock trimming it could look purty nice. 

DSCN0410.JPG.4f50e0862afea9a18e749183963447eb.JPG

First and only stingray I ever found.  Not in the best of shape and certainly needs some preppin, but one can easily see what it is.

DSCN0411.JPG.0c508d8cde8d13d87d00738bd84571fa.JPG

This is from back in the day when I would paint/stain fish to make them look better.   Uuuuugh!!!

DSCN0412.JPG.573569f90783db50d94b6a1cbb7f2374.JPG

Bad picture, sorry.  I got this fish from Ulrick.  Last fish I bought from him too.  Has head problems.  I was never happy with this fish. 

DSCN0413.JPG.852ec80d4f9979cd3b5f967d252c13c1.JPG

A super Duper Double Bird track i found sooooooooo many years ago.  I thought I had lost it?  Nice to see it again.

DSCN0414.JPG.a361b491ee06d2af07941dcfafd68526.JPG

My son saw this and about flipped out!  Super nice jaws on this Phare and lots of mean lookin teeth.  I just might have to give it to him? 

DSCN0415.JPG.437e6c11e915922ecad138f780a22207.JPG

Not a good picture, but one of the best Mio's Ive ever found!  A rather large one but with both dorsal fins sticking up!  Not something you see everyday!

DSCN0416.JPG.64925cfb10c654396c9212a856a90895.JPG

Beautiful Mioplosus you have there! You might not be very happy with the large Noto, but I could be pretty happy with it! Great finds, always nice to rediscover a few old fossils, especially if they're fish! I love the predatory fish that are under the mini-fish layers! It's like they are preserved on the hunt!

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

20 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

Beautiful Mioplosus you have there! You might not be very happy with the large Noto, but I could be pretty happy with it! Great finds, always nice to rediscover a few old fossils, especially if they're fish! I love the predatory fish that are under the mini-fish layers! It's like they are preserved on the hunt!

Many years ago I was well on my way to having a really nice fossil fish collection,,,,,,, then I found crabs and they have been on the front burner ever since.

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Many years ago I was well on my way to having a really nice fossil fish collection,,,,,,, then I found crabs and they have been on the front burner ever since.

RB

I'm still hooked on fish! That's the great thing about fossils, there's something for everyone:thumbsu:

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

• 2 weeks later...

Brought home 2 more big wooden boxes with fossil fish.   I bought some old barnwood to make some custom frames for some of my fish and was looking for a certain fish so I went back to my other property and found two more big wooden boxes from our move 15 years ago.  Found the fish I was looking for too plus a bunch of others.

RB

This is one that I will make a frame for.  I also trimmed up the rock and made it square.  Diplo

DSCN0461.JPG.6f4ae202c5ce6615a6fcdd4e8592064a.JPG

This was underneath the Diplo.  Ive already got this trimmed and made square too.

DSCN0462.JPG.563bf744a2c8a251f0e79388aa9c4f39.JPG

I found this in the other box along with some nice multi knightia's in some very nice 'snail rock', what I call the Marlstone layers. 

DSCN0467.JPG.3ea6d71a9a8c4e4ac29e96fb76bc5045.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Finds of a life...time.  :fistbump:

Tell the truth, Ron.  Your shed is really a large magician's black hat and you reach your hand all the way in to the elbow and pull out :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Thanks for sharing..  

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Lovely. :wub:

I think your shed must be the size of an aircraft hanger or else bigger on the inside than on the out like the TARDIS from Doctor Who. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely. :wub:

I think your shed must be the size of an aircraft hanger or else bigger on the inside than on the out like the TARDIS from Doctor Who. 

You beat me to it! I was just thinking the same thing just before I got to your post!

In all honesty, with all the stuff Ive been going through over the years from my 'fossil shed',   I think I can see the end is near?

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

In all honesty, with all the stuff Ive been going through over the years from my 'fossil shed',   I think I can see the end is near?

RB

:(

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/