Mazon Creek Best Of The Best Elonichthys Remotus Schultz And Bardack, 1987

RCFossils

There are 8 species of paleoniscoids currently described from the Mazon Creek Deposit. While all are relatively rare, the vast majority can be identified as Elonichthys peltigeras and Elonichthys hypsilepus. The other six species are known from very few examples (sometimes only one or two).

Almost all Mazon Creek paleoniscoids are juveniles but there are a few larger examples. There are also some isolated body parts of larger individuals.

The fact that most Mazon fish are juveniles  and often poorly preserved can make identification difficult.

To compound the problem there needs to be much more work done as some species may be synonymous with fossils from other areas.

The specimen that I am highlighting is an extremely rare species named Elonichthys remotus. At the time it was described (1987) it was known from a single fossil (possibly 2).

This is the only other example that I am aware of.

It has a rather distinct body when compared to the other Mazon paleoniscoids. The dorsal fin sits far back on the body and begins behind the pelvic fin.

The body is also more elongated then other described species.

It was collected at Pit 15 which is located a little further South then Pit 11.

8569B457-2FE5-4254-94EE-B7654966B6CC.jpeg

F073DF26-FAB8-44BE-A142-0B964811E2A4.jpeg

661B4A49-DA09-493C-A623-010FA47F769F.jpeg

623-010FA47F769F.thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Beautiful! With specimens this rare, it really makes you wonder what new species are out there, waiting to be found. Hopefully by me next March 1st! :D Chris

• I found this Informative 1