Fossil sealant?

Joe_17

I was wondering what everyone uses to prevent their fossils from splitting or cracking. I know some fossils have a mixture of some kind of glue that's diluted to seep into cracks of fossils. Does anyone know how to make it?

I have heard of Elmer's glue and water being used to protect fossils, but most people here on the forum would probably recommend Vinac, Paraloid or Butvar for preserving fossils.

A good question would be what the fossil you want to preserve is.

@Ptychodus04, and @RJB can help you with this question.

• I found this Informative 1

46 minutes ago, Randyw said:

I use paraloid 72 on my fossils. Cheap, reversible, easy to use.

The paraloid is sadly out of the question since it's a resin and toxic to my animals in this house :/ . I'd be willing to try other stuff though if it doesn't give off fumes.

I have a dog I use it. He doesn’t like the smell and it dries so fast that he couldn’t get any off the fossil if he tried. It’s basically nail polish remover with a few paraloid beads dissolved into it. The rest is stored in a sealed glass jar. If I’m soaking anything it’s either in a sealed container or I keep a pet gate up so he can’t get in the room. And the fumes are gone quickly if painted on

I am not totally understanding your concerns to your pets. Paraloid is a varnish and is considered "slightly toxic". So it would take quite a large amount of direct paraloid ingestion to cause major harm in a pet. And think about it, once applied to the fossil, it is no different than varnish on furniture. We don't get rid of our furniture because of the possibility of varnish toxicity. I would have more concern about foreign body obstruction (your fossil eaten by a pet) than what the fossil is coated in. Paraloid is usually diluted and stored in acetone. This is a volatile product that pets stay away from due to the intense odor. Again, I have never heard of a pet poisoned with fingernail polish remover, unless applied topically to the animal by the owner. They are smarter than that. And no person using it themselves to remove nail polish properly has suffered ill effects, at least to my knowledge. With the use of common sense and proper storage, I do not see any more than a very very slight risk to your pets, this coming from a retired veterinarian.

Mike

• I found this Informative 4

Mike said it better then I could!

I have A.C.O.S (a lung disease) and the smell isn’t even enough to set of an attack in me.i get more acetone exposure walking past the nail salon in my local Walmart then I do coating a fossil....

Mr. Dogg was not impressed!

dogchew2.jpg.e44a1f9a060b697220d6b5cc0727145c.jpg

@Joe_17 I think it's great you are concerned about the well-being of critters. Work outside and store materials properly (the big concern for me is the flammability of acetone). You will then experience no difficulties with proper conservation materials. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Ive been using super glues and my favorite is Glyptal, been using that now for over 25 years.  But the glytal is also mixed with acitone.  I used diluted elmers many years ago but quit once I realized the glue got sticky in humid weather.   Your concern for your dog seems unwarranted cause whatever you use is going to dry.  I wish you luck in whatever you choose.

RB

*************WARNING********

There is one caveat though! If you have birds do not use it in the same room that your birds are in! Birds are sensitive to acetone fumes!

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive been using super glues and my favorite is Glyptal, been using that now for over 25 years.  But the glytal is also mixed with acitone.  I used diluted elmers many years ago but quit once I realized the glue got sticky in humid weather.   Your concern for your dog seems unwarranted cause whatever you use is going to dry.  I wish you luck in whatever you choose.

RB

A quick search for this shows automotive and electronics glues. Do you have the product code and where it is available? Thanks.

6 hours ago, Randyw said:

*************WARNING********

There is one caveat though! If you have birds do not use it in the same room that your birds are in! Birds are sensitive to acetone fumes!

Yeah they are birds and a one dog. Birds are sensitive to fumes of any kind. It kind of worried me. Also there's no way to work outside here since the weather keeps fluctuating to highs of 60's to 20's . I'm not sure how that would affect the fossils. They came to me sealed but i was paranoid seeing tiny cracks in them and not wanting them to expand and break apart eventually.

12 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Glyptal... wow!  I didn't think anyone used it any more.  We used it when I started in this biz 30 plus years ago. (Nay.. 40 years ago... Jeez).  I was told folks stopped using it cuz better products became available (Vinac, Paraloid, etc)  and that Glyptal itself was carcinogenic.  

Anyway, I googled it too and it seems Glyptal is a brand name and they make all sorts of paints, sealers and etc.  Which Glyptal product are you using RB?  

That's also my experience with Glyptal, JPC.  It was 35+ years ago.  As I recall, the stuff was produced by Westinghouse as a protective coating for electric motor windings.  I don't remember how I got onto Butvar B-76, but I immediately realized that the Butvar was going to be cheaper and better long-term.  I hadn't heard till now that it might be carcinogenic.  The Glyptal was too expensive to throw away when I made the change, so I still have an unopened quart can on a shelf.  I have another partial can that split a few years ago.  Now, I have amber Glyptal "ice cycles" hanging from that shelf.  

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

10 hours ago, jpc said:

Anyway, I googled it too and it seems Glyptal is a brand name and they make all sorts of paints, sealers and etc.  Which Glyptal product are you using RB?

I thought they made only one thing.  I have quart cans like Harry mentioned.  The cans cost me $45 years ago but as little as I use they will last me the rest of my life easily!  I mix it with acitone  in a 5 or 6 to one ratio.

RB

I've been using Vinac for years.  Dries quick, easy to remove.  Great for the field and the lab.  Makes a great barrier/sealant before molding an important specimen.

I know there are some cyanoacrylate alternatives like Paleobond's Penetrant but they can sometimes be very difficult to remove.  Everything seems to have it's place depending on what you are working on though.