Silicified bone

Croxen

Found this any info is appreciated. No limestone and not much quartz in the area this was found. Everything about it is very hard and possibly silicified. 

Thanks Jason

20191115_131351.thumb.jpg.95e03fbbe460ab63292b5d8f177152f6.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Silicified bone

Moved to FOSSIL ID. ;) 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I don't think this is bone. 
I see no bone texture. :unsure: 

Cropped, brightened, and enlarged:

20191115_131351.thumb.jpg.95e03fbbe460ab63292b5d8f177152f6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sorry, but I have to agree that this looks to be mineral in nature. Possibly massive Calcite, Quartz, or Alabaster.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Croxen said:

So the artifact is actually water displaced quartz. With crystalized petrified wood. Possibly 107 128 ma. 

Can you give us the source of this information. Sometimes identifiable features are not seen in all specimens but can be inferred from similar finds.

Sometimes folks just don't know what they are talking about.

Sorry, not an artifact. That is definitely not man-made.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

8 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Sorry, not an artifact. That is definitely not man-made.

Pay no attention to the strict definition. If it actually made it through this process I think it qualifies. :)

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Can you give us the source of this information. Sometimes identifiable features are not seen in all specimens but can be inferred from similar finds.

Sometimes folks just don't know what they are talking about.

U of O geology professor I'm sure she is wrong as well. Why is this such a negative forum? I had no idea yet scepticism is all you got. Unattainable knowledge with no facts?

In the "strictest" sense, and in this context, artifact is reserved for a manmade object.  This is a geologic specimen.  

Broadly judging TFF based on a couple of comments seems a bit quick to judgement.  A request for the source of a new assertion is a logical one, and not a negative inquiry.  

Let's please keep the conversation respectful.  Thanks.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

50 minutes ago, Croxen said:

U of O geology professor I'm sure she is wrong as well. Why is this such a negative forum? I had no idea yet scepticism is all you got. Unattainable knowledge with no facts?

Attaining knowledge was my goal.  Any information about why she identified it as such would be appreciated. Wood can be difficult to identify.

• I found this Informative 2