Exporting fossils from portugal

Hunter0811

I will be going to Lourinha in Portugal this summer, which is an excellent opportunity for fossil collecting! However, I can´t find anything about taking fossils with you back on the plane... does anyone know if this is allowed?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerly I'm not sure. In the site of Lourinha city hall they have a PDM (municipal master plan) and are some informations about collect in Lourinha. I think this lines are recent but in general traits the collect is only authorized to paleontologist with permission. I have to explore more this news restrictions but in the general was this way.

To avoid problems it's preferable not collect. If you want to be sure about this you can contact the local museum. Lourinhã Museum.

Most places in portugal are currently protected with this kind of restrictions.

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Vieira said:

Sincerly I'm not sure. In the site of Lourinha city hall they have a PDM (municipal master plan) and are some informations about collect in Lourinha. I think this lines are recent but in general traits the collect is only authorized to paleontologist with permission. I have to explore more this news restrictions but in the general was this way.

To avoid problems it's preferable not collect. If you want to be sure about this you can contact the local museum. Lourinhã Museum.

Most places in portugal are currently protected with this kind of restrictions.

Guess they don't need my tourism. 

45 minutes ago, facehugger said:

Guess they don't need my tourism. 

They want your turism... Don't want you collect fossils :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

50 minutes ago, Vieira said:

They want your turism... Don't want you collect fossils :headscratch:

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too, as the expression goes. 

If I can't at least modestly collect in Portugal legally, than I will travel to a destination where I can. And that nation can have my money. 

• I found this Informative 1

Collecting argument aside, there is a paleontology museum in Lisbon that is probably the best I’ve ever been to and definitely worth visiting. Portugal has several track sites, impressive dinosaur displays, etc. If you love paleontology, or dinosaurs in general I highly recommend going there.  

• I found this Informative 5

And it's a beautiful country, the people are friendly and kind, foods good, things aren't too expensive, I love the place. :)

Though Morocco's not far away...............:ninja:

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png