Dating Ammonite

Righteous

I picked this one up this morning, it was to nice to pass up and first one I ever seen local. 
My question is can you date these by the outer shell and how they are made up? Smooth or with ridges Etc 

01FDCF84-7458-4A87-9949-77B915866F38.jpeg

So this is what would be under the shell? Didn’t think it would have looked like that under there. I would have been expecting it to look like the grey rock matter you see at the end of it. So would this be like a inside skin? With no shell would this make it far less valuable?

E1C13595-F9E2-4F08-A8F3-142193128B2B.jpeg

Cleoniceras from Madagascar are generally very cheap and don't have much value but it is still a very nice fossil!

The inside is filled with calcium carbonate or calcite while the outside is usually sanded and polished away on these ones.

The pattern you see is the suture lines which separate different Chambers of the shell so the ammonite could fill them with air or water to make it sink or float.

The end looks like it just has a bit of the matrix in it which would be the rock that surrounds the fossil when they are excavated but I do not believe the matrix can get into the actual shell which is why that is replaced by calcite.

Hopes that clears it up a bit for you :)

• I found this Informative 1

These usually don't preserve/show the living chamber, or they are cut off in the polishing. 

The adhering matrix might have looked like that, but not the shell. . 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Dunno if I can ask this is but what is one like this worth? I know hard core collectors would be far less the the average one 

We aren’t supposed to give out valuations here on the forum. The real question is “what is it worth to you?” If you’re satisfied with the purchase ( especially if you don’t see them much) then it was a good deal if not then it wasn’t. In places where things are common then things are cheaper. If not so common there then the price goes up.so it all depends on your happiness level.

• I found this Informative 2

I like it. I’ve been collecting fossils for when grandkids are older they can have something Walmart don’t sell.  Now I need to find a nice example with the shell so I have a inside out display.