Invertebrate Fossil ID websites or databases

SReed

Hey everyone,  

I am looking for any reccomended websites or databases that can help me identify several invertebrate specimens in my collection.  Specimens range from ammonites, echinoderms, brachiopods, molluscs etc.  I have locations where most were found or acquired, but I would like to get a species ID on them at least.  Morphology tends to blur at times depending on the sample.  Any references or ideas?

Moved to Questions and Answers. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If you are looking for a single source of information for invertebrates there are the Treaties on Invertebrate Paleontology, but it will cost you... 

It may be better to ask about recommendations based upon the location/formation that the fossils were found in, narrow it down to a type, or even a time period. You are far more likely to find published works, and therefore recommendations, based upon the locality of the fossil, age of rock, or the type (i.e. trilobites, brachiopods, corals).

4 hours ago, SReed said:

I have locations where most were found or acquired, but I would like to get a species ID on them at least. 

Location is a must when trying to positively get something identified down to species level. Some species look very similar to each other and having the location will limit your options. Even then, it may be impossible to narrow it down to a certain species. Depending on the specimen, you may or may not have enough diagnostic features. You may be lucky to get to genus or even family level.

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)