Oviraptor Egg, Squished

Mousehead

I know the typical signs to look for in Chinese fakes, but this one is stumping me.  It's got a pretty unique patina to it.  Here's info and photos: 

Species: Oviraptor Egg

Country of Origin: Taiwan (red flag)

Origin of Find: China, mid-80's

Measurements: 18cm x 13cm x 5cm (egg without matrix)

Weight: 1,970g

This seller's other items look legitimate so I'm hoping there's authenticity here.  Lend me your special fossil eyes.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The egg looks real, fairly complete, patina is different but matrix looks good. A few of the shell pieces might have been reattached.  Found in China unfortunately there is no better locality.  Always good to hear from others on eggs before pulling the trigger.   

• I found this Informative 3

Looks pretty good to me. No red flags. Eggshell color and texture is consistent and even the imperfection is spot-on.

As Troodon said, maybe some reattached eggshells but it's no biggie.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The locality information is wrong.  Taiwan of China has no dinosaur eggs found.  Based on the matrix colour and texture, I guess it is from Ganzhou and Jiangxi Province, China.

The eggs looks genuine to me.

I do have a different opinion on that: to me the real eggshell is dissolved due to a not very good preservation, and this is only the internal imprint of it. That's quite common

On 11/25/2019 at 12:54 PM, glu said:

I do have a different opinion on that: to me the real eggshell is dissolved due to a not very good preservation, and this is only the internal imprint of it. That's quite common

I agree! Less as 10% shell preserved...

Yup, the seller indicated that most of the eggshell is gone, but I thought it had a really interesting texture and crackly-ness to it.  So I bought it and it is mine now hooray.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on a great, new acquisition

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!