What have I found?

jemnut

Hello. I am a new member and I joined to get help identifying this piece   It was found this morning near the water at Rockaway Beach in Queens County, NYC, NY, USA.  It is solid and smooth on the outside and smooth with ridges on the inside. The outside is mostly black and the inside is mostly brownish. 

8A3FB3A9-80DC-409D-A7E5-3BAFB3A43D9A.jpeg

94AFA647-2FFA-457B-B401-10D5F661B227.jpeg

EC417763-A50A-49E6-BF12-62962CA28C59.jpeg

13 minutes ago, jemnut said:

If bone how would i identify species and bone? 

I think that area is near where meat processors dumped tons of bone scraps that are still being found.

Does it seem heavier and harder than modern bone ?

It is just a small piece so i can’t really say.  It seems harder than what bones i have seen.  It is a public beach. I think the area you may be talking about is north of this on the bay side or inlet side where there were rendering plants at what was once called Barren Island on Dead Horse Bay!   But this was found on the ocean side of Rockaway at B90 St. 

34 minutes ago, jemnut said:

It is just a small piece so i can’t really say.  It seems harder than what bones i have seen.  It is a public beach. I think the area you may be talking about is north of this on the bay side or inlet side where there were rendering plants at what was once called Barren Island on Dead Horse Bay!   But this was found on the ocean side of Rockaway at B90 St. 

That's it. 

You can try tapping it with a spoon. If the sound made is like that of fine china it will indicate with near certainty that it is a fossil. A low tunk sound is most likely from a modern bone.

Interesting. The only thing i think of is the ball portion of the miocene croc. But im not saying thats what it is. Just what comes to mind.

11 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Are you sure this the best example thread ? 

Seems a little fruity to me. :zzzzscratchchin:

I pair it to other threads when I can.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ