What are these?

Utera

Hey guys, I recently got a bunch of fossils for my friend as an early Christmas present and I'm trying to figure out what they are. Most of them are brachiopods and clams but I'm having trouble identifying the genus of these guys. I have no information on where they came from or what period they're from. Can you guys help me as best as you can?

IMG_3331.HEIC

IMG_3332.HEIC

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

Also included with the fossils my friend gave me is this trilobite. He didn't get a card or any information on it when he got it. Can someone help me out with the genus of this as well?

IMG_3337.HEIC

IMG_3337.jpg

1 hour ago, Utera said:

Hey guys, I recently got a bunch of fossils for my friend as an early Christmas present and I'm trying to figure out what they are. Most of them are brachiopods and clams but I'm having trouble identifying the genus of these guys. I have no information on where they came from or what period they're from. Can you guys help me as best as you can?

The one at the very top and the one to the left of your dime appear to be rugose (Horn) coral. The one on the right looks like a brachiopod to me.

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

The horn corals are going to be difficult to ID very specifically from that picture without knowing their age or location. The brachiopod looks similar to Merristella which is common in the Devonian of Oklahoma, but again there may be other similar options from other areas/ages. The trilobite looks just like one I have that is labeled a Hollardops from Morocco. @piranha can let you know if that name has been updated/changed. 

• I found this Informative 3

Also, I wanted to thank you all for being helpful with this. I have a big desk and all of these fossils that he gave me take up half of it, so I've been doing a lot of researching. Just a question; my friend gave me a lot of rocks with imprints of clams. Would it be possible to tell the genus of one based on the trace fossil?

1 hour ago, Utera said:

Also, I wanted to thank you all for being helpful with this. I have a big desk and all of these fossils that he gave me take up half of it, so I've been doing a lot of researching. Just a question; my friend gave me a lot of rocks with imprints of clams. Would it be possible to tell the genus of one based on the trace fossil?

An expert could probably do it if both the external and internal (muscle attachment scars) sides were well exposed. 

You should be careful not to confuse an imprint, or mold fossil with a trace. Trace fossils refer to the result of an activity by the animal not the body itself.   

• I found this Informative 2

On 11/24/2019 at 3:31 AM, Utera said:

Along with all of these are these shells. I believe they're are pelycopods but I do not know for sure.

IMG_3340.HEIC

IMG_3338.HEIC

The .heic file images do not show on this website. Many people have a hard time seeing them. 

Please make the effort to convert them to .jpg files.

There are plenty of free websites to do this for you. LINK

Also, please crop your photos to show only the fossils.

This will decrease the file size. Most smart phones have the ability to edit your photos to some degree. 

You could also try to set your phones' default to save images as .jpg, rather than the .HEIC format.

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me