Ammonite with damage

Bobby Rico

Echioceras Raricostatum Well Calcified Example With ? Predation form Bath Somerset U.K..

Quite a nice example and a little different from the more common Raricostitoides  in a  very hard nodules

Prep revealed an area of outer whorl completely missing in an otherwise very well preserved Ammonite . I believe that some academics believe this is predation, I’m not so sure but a nice specimen despite this . What do you think in general ?

cheers Bobby 

91743158-AC62-4E4F-9974-7A150DFC46F6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

3 minutes ago, Misha said:

That must have been one crunchy snack,

Quite a pretty little ammonite.

Maybe they didn’t mind a bit of shell with their calamari. :D

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice! 

Not sure if it’s predation or not. You’d need positive evidence of predation to be sure. Teeth marks and the like. It is nice to wonder though! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

It looks similar to other predated ammonites.

http://www.lymeregismuseum.co.uk/related-article/fatally-bitten-ammonites-results-interpretation/

But to echo what was said before, teeth marks would be the best evidence.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think it’s a good ammonite and my friend did a nice job in prepping it too.

It’s a very nice ammonite and a lovely prep job! I’d be proud to add it to my collection if it was mine, and I’d label it as possible predation. A great conversation starter and something to ponder over. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

36 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

No predation for me. All the predations are made at the beginning of the body chamber. Here it's not the case

But nice ammonite for sure

Thank you I was just wondering if you did look at the link that Utahfossilhunter added. 

I would wonder if it was a bite that went deeper,  removing all of the living chamber as there appears (to my untrained eyes) to be none left, and a bit from inner whorl?? Just guessing here without real "proof"