Potential Plesiosaur paddle bone

mamlambo

Hi everyone! I found this bone today, my first "proper" dinosaur bone I think! Am I right in thinking it's from a plesiosaur paddle bone? Thanks! 

Measurements are in cm.

49113100238_b0fe36e50f_k.jpg

49113801127_2ad8d9c294_k.jpg

Edited by mamlambo
Added in the cm
  • I found this Informative 5

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Here is a Plesiosaur paddle to compare your bone against, looks pretty good 

20190922_034655.thumb.jpg.51bba38a17ff4f63fc5fd2aadc09a2c1.jpg

Wow that looks pretty much exactly like what I found! Thanks for that picture @Troodon

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

Plesiosaur phalange looks good.  But remember, plesiosaurs are not at all dinosaurs.  

@jpc Thanks! Yeah, I realised that when I read it again later. They are like you say, not classified as dinosaurs. Are they reptiles?

I made a correction to the original post, it wasn't found in the greensand (which is Paleocene) but in the Conway formation which is Cretaceous.

Congrats @mamlambo I’m sure the quality your finds and knowledge of this site will increase just as quickly as it has for the Canterbury coast :thumbsu:

All the time and effort and curiosity is paying off.

I will not be surprised to see you finding a marine reptile skull or something just as cool this summer 

:yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Doctor Mud said:

Congrats @mamlambo I’m sure the quality your finds and knowledge of this site will increase just as quickly as it has for the Canterbury coast :thumbsu:

All the time and effort and curiosity is paying off.

I will not be surprised to see you finding a marine reptile skull or something just as cool this summer 

:yay-smiley-1:

Thanks @Doctor Mud The staff at the Canterbury Museum have been very helpful with helping me with the various sediment layers and their age - hence my correction in this post :D

Oh man, I do hope I find a skull or something similar. They will have to drag me kicking and screaming out of the fossil fields!

• I found this Informative 1