Great White C. carcharias with cusps?

fossilnut

53 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

I stand in awe of the complexity and wondrous aspects of nature. Finis

Every one needs to make their own decisions on where to focus and how to spend scarce time and resources.

I retired from IBM in 2007 and had my very first Peace River adventure in July 2008. A paleontologist, Mark Renz was chartering trips and had an ad in the local papers which my wife noticed. We went in at the park in Wauchula.  She disliked the experience and never returned, even though she found a 2 inch croc tooth!! I never looked back. AT my peak, I hunted 4x a week x 12 hour days.  I considered it the job I loved.

I found TFF in the fall of 2009. My very 1st post was Septmber 9th.  I have documented my finds , hunting trips with words and photos for more than 10 years.

It is the book of my fossil life.  I have made many presentations using photos and words from TFF.

I am truly blessed, having fallen into this hobby.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 11/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, fossilnut said:

DSCN6159.JPG

I'm not sure that is a lateral cusplet.  It looks more like a "wrinkle" or fold in the cutting edge that is sometimes seen in great whites.  It might be related to the fact that juvenile great whites have lateral cusplets and lose them as they get older.  I wonder if sometimes there is still an attempt to form the cusplet but it gets expressed as an irregularity in the cutting edge instead.  It wouldn't be common.  It's hard to put a number on it. 

That's a beautiful tooth.  It reminds me of a great white tooth I saw in the 90's.  A collector found an off-white tooth similar in color to yours and about the same size.  Like you, he found his on a beach but he found it near Santa Cruz, California where Pliocene teeth sometimes wash up on the beach.  It stood out because all the other teeth he'd found before were dark gray to black.

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

I'm not sure that is a lateral cusplet.  It looks more like a "wrinkle" or fold in the cutting edge that is sometimes seen in great whites.  It might be related to the fact that juvenile great whites have lateral cusplets and lose them as they get older.

Appreciate your comments. In my limited research, I did not see any "juvenile great white shark teeth with cusplets" . Could you suggest any sites where I could see one with cusplets? In my search, I saw one from Peru that was 1 7/8". May be I just don't understand the size of a juvenile's tooth. I expected it to be smaller. In any event I would like to see a tooth from the East Coast not Peru. I also saw a "juvenile" from an extant GW that was 1/2 inch slant height.

Or do you or anyone out there have a Juvenile Great White with cusplets that they could post? I would really like to see one.

The 1st picture is listed as C. carcharias Juvenile from Peru 1 7/16". The 2bd one listed as C. carcharias Juvenile from a newborn GW 13/16". Does it lose its cusps in teeth in later file teeth for that position? The cusplets are in very differently shaped for these two teeth. One or the other is possibly mis-identified?

Screenshot_2019-12-07 BuriedTreasureFossils Shark, T-Rex, Megalodon Teeth for Sale(2).png

Screenshot_2019-12-07 BuriedTreasureFossils Shark, T-Rex, Megalodon Teeth for Sale(1).png

Fossilnut,

I will try to get together at least a couple of juvenile great white teeth.  The ones that appear to belong to newborns-to-weeks-old individuals are less than an inch high and relatively narrower than what you see in older individuals like that last photo, and like that last one, they maybe incompletely serrated or even unserrated.  It has been noticed that fossil juvenile teeth seem to be more common in California sites than in east coast sites.

I was once at a show in Florida and a dealer had a little box of teeth from the Pliocene of Chile all less than an inch.  There were two juvenile great whites in there and one, while it appeared to be damaged, was actually misshapen due to a pathology (compressed laterally).  Oh yeah, I bought both of those.

I have seen larger teeth that must be adult teeth but they retained the cusplets even if almost gone.  Variation in a species is something that's impossible to get a handle on when almost all you find are isolated teeth.  Scientists have given multiple names to the same species.  Other scientists started to recognize this after they studied modern forms in more depth and got more of an idea of ancestry and relatedness among them.

Jess

Thanks for that info. A good eye combined with knowledge is a great combo. The more I learn I realize the less I really know. Only finding indivdual teeth has made id's and naming a difficult and gradual process. Thanks for your interest and sharing your knowledge. Tom