fossilnut

I found this on the beach just last week. First ever molar find for me. Have found deer incisors on this beach in prior years-come every year for 4 weeks. Every year find different fossils and even from different time periods-Cretaceous, Miocene, Pliocene and Pleistocene./ I have taken picture of the occusal surface to help in identifying it. Learned that from looking at TFF as a needed piece of info. This was found in the same general area of beach as my previous posts on Great White teeth and possible mako shark tooth. Appreciate your expertise in id'ing this tooth. Thanks

DSCN6177.JPG

Apologize for not including size! Length of tooth 3/4", width of tooth 5/8" and height of tooth (not including root) is 1/2" Hope this helps.

19 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What is the scale size of this?

I think you are looking at manatee for the owner.

A manatee tooth would be very cool if these dimensions match up. Thanks for your reply.

This does not look to me like a manatee tooth.  This appears to be a tiny mastodont tooth.  I had to go examine some teeth in my drawer, and I believe this Maryland tooth is too large for a manatee.  Plus, the cusp arrangement does not match.  I don't have a mastodont tooth quite that small, but I do have several mammoth teeth at a similar size.  I suspect that teeth of this size are the first teeth to emerge in a young animal (technically, not milk teeth which are absent in elephantoids).

mammothmilkteeth.jpg

manateemaxilla.jpg

manateeteeth.jpg

mastodonvsmetaxytherium.jpg

teethsix.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

@Harry PristisThanks for taking the time to look at this tooth and provide information. I never even considered a baby mastodon tooth. Last year, I did find a piece of a mastodon tooth in a different area at NMB,SC. This was my first ever find of a mammal molar tooth and I am thrilled for it to be from a baby mastodon!

50 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

@Harry PristisThanks for taking the time to look at this tooth and provide information. I never even considered a baby mastodon tooth. Last year, I did find a piece of a mastodon tooth in a different area at NMB,SC. This was my first ever find of a mammal molar tooth and I am thrilled for it to be from a baby mastodon!

I'm fairly certain that this is a mastodont tooth, but I do have an adult tooth of a gomphothere (probably Cuvieronius, a Pleistocene species) from near North Myrtle Beach.  Cuvieronius has a relatively low crown and uncomplicated cusps, like your tooth.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

@Harry PristisI am taking the liberty to post pics of what I believe to be piece of mastodon teeth I found at NMB last 10 or11/2018. Ignore the date on the pics since I retook them today. I will also post some pics of 2 pieces of things I found this year but unclear as to their identity. One looks like it shows an unerupted tooth possibly reptilian? Welcome all comments.

DSCN6213.JPG